Osu Fire Kills 2 Kids


Ms. Dora Frimpomaa Amoah with the surviving children Victoria Aryee and Miriam Aryee

Two kids – six-year-old Nancy Aryee and her nine-month-old brother,   Edward Aryee – were burnt to death at Osu, a suburb of Accra, at the weekend.

Two other siblings, Victoria Naa Oyo Aryee, 8 and Miriam Aryee, four years however, left the room before the roof caved in.

The mother of the deceased, Dora Frimpomaa Amoah, got burnt on the right arm as she tried to rescue her children from the fire.

Three government officials – Greater Accra Regional Minister, Nii Laryea Afotey Agbo; Member of Parliament for the Korley Klortey, Nii Armah Ashitey and the Mayor of Accra Metropolitan Assembly (AMA), Alfred Nii Oko Vanderpuije, visited the family.

Expressing their condolences to the family at their home in Osu, the regional minister said the unfortunate incident was a big blow to the entire community as no one thought such a tragedy could occur.

‘Government shares the pain you are going through and we are here to support you,’ he said.

An amount of GH¢1,000 was donated to the family towards to preparation of the burial ceremony of the children.

Mother’s Account
The mother of the children, narrating what happened, said the four children were in the hall while she was fetching water outside.

She said her oldest child, Victoria, came to prompt her that there was fire in their room.

‘I didn’t waste any time. I rushed to the room only to discover that the door connecting the kitchen to the hall was locked with the trap door blazing with fire,’ she narrated.

Ms. Amoah said she forced the trap door open and started to quench the fire with the water she had in the kitchen but to no avail; so she decided to use the other entrance to the hall.

‘When I got there my husband had used the flower pot to open the door but the fire was still blazing so I bent down and saw the baby on the carpet and my other child at the back of the door. I tried and pulled the baby out but his body and face had been burnt,’ she said.

‘My other child died in the fire while the baby was rushed to the hospital but also died a few hours later,’ she maintained.

Ms. Amoah said she was unsure what might have caused the fire but smelt aburning rubber in the room the previous day which prompted her to check the wires but she didn’t find any faults with them.

‘I didn’t tell my husband and we slept so the following day, I think it exploded and there was nothing we could do about it,’ she asserted.

By Jamila Akweley Okertchiri

Comments:
This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.

Comments