Hunters who put fire in a rat hole in an effort to smoke out the rodent caused the fire that engulfed a warehouse at the Aflao sub-station of the Ghana Grid Company (GRIDCo).
The warehouse went up in flames Sunday afternoon sending panic across the area and forcing managers of electricity distributors to cut power to thousands of homes.
It was feared that the sub-station itself would be affected and the implications dire.
But Metropolitan Chief Executive for Ketu South District, Pascal Lamptey, told Joy News the main sub-station was spared.
Firefighters put out the fire before it could cause extensive damage to property.
He said rat hunters set fire to the bush as they tried to smoke out a rat from its hole.
Spare parts procured by GRIDCo to replace some obsolete parts in the sub-station were stored in the warehouse, he explained.
Some of the spare parts were destroyed by the fire.
Mr. Lamptey did not say whether the hunters would be arrested and prosecuted for arson or at the very least negligently causing damage to property.
This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.