Soldiers Jailed For Assault

Two serving soldiers have been jailed two years by an Accra Circuit Court after they had been found guilty of arresting a young man in a taxi, handcuffed him and subjected him to severe beatings without the least provocation.

AB11 Dickson Reuben, AB11 Mark Gwira Forkes and AB11 Mohammed Iddrisu – currently a fugitive from justice – rode in a military vehicle to Dome Pillar 2, a suburb of Accra, where they arrested the victim and then handcuffed him before mercilessly assaulting him.

They were charged with assault, conspiracy to commit crime and robbery. They admitted the offence of assault but told the court, presided over by Francis Obiri, that they were not guilty of conspiracy and robbery.

They were consequently handed two years each for assault while hearing on the robbery charge leveled against them has been adjourned to October 6, 2014.

Presenting the facts of the case, the prosecutor, DSP Patrick Morkeh told the court that the assault victim is Mohamed Abdul Fattau, a driver, while the other complainants are Daniel Ako-Nai, a radio producer, Francis Osei, a driver and Eugene Appiah Mensah, a student, adding that the suspects are soldiers.

He said on August 4, 2014 the Kwabenya District Command had information that some soldiers using a military vehicle with number plate GC 6771-12, had arrested a young man, handcuffed and beaten him in a taxi so an angry mob was pursuing the soldiers.

The prosecutor averred that some police officers were dispatched to the scene but on the way they met the soldiers together with the mob and added that the soldiers told the police officers that they were going to hand over Fattau to them.

According to him, all of them were brought to the district office and during interrogation, it was revealed that Fatau was beaten without any provocation.

In addition, he disclosed that Ado Nai went to the charge office and told the police that the suspects had robbed him of his GH¢200 and a wrist watch that cost GH¢500, after they had attacked him.

DSP Morkeh claimed that Osei and Appiah Mensah also came forward to complain that the soldiers had robbed them of 220 Euros, and GH¢1,000 and abandoned them at the Accra-Tema Motorway.

The DSP Morkeh stated that three other complainants also came forward to lodge similar complaints against the convicts and identified them during an identification parade.

By Fidelia Achama

This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.