Naval Rating Dies In Accident

Frederick Anderson 
Two persons were killed in a ghastly accident early Monday morning around May Spot, a popular drinking spot at Fijai along the Takoradi-Accra main road.

The accident happened when the motorbike which the two were riding rammed into one of the Jack Coaches’ long buses which was traveling from Takoradi to Accra around 12:25 am.

One of the deceased persons, identified as Frederick Anderson, 26, is said to be a naval rating at the Sekondi Naval Base, while the other was identified only as Blankson, 27, a friend to the naval rating.

It was not clear which of the two was riding the motorbike. However, sources had it that the two persons were not wearing crash helmets when the accident occurred.

An eyewitness account indicated that the long bus was moving from Takoradi to Accra while the two deceased persons on the motorbike were also moving from the Fijai hills area onto the main road.

According to the eyewitness, when the bus got to the May Spot junction, the motorbike, which was also moving onto the main road, crashed into the bus, killing the naval rating and the friend on the spot.

Some of the residents in the area attributed the accident to poor visibility, saying the rider of the bike might not have seen the bus approaching at that time of the day.

The residents asserted that that was the second motorbike accident in the area in the past three months.

They said the first accident occurred at Fijai junction when an Accra bound Ford vehicle ran into a motorbike and killed the rider on the spot.

Confirming the accident in an interview with DAILY GUIDE, ASP Olivia Ewurabena Adiku, indicated that the bus, with registration number GC 6272-11, was traveling from Takoradi to Accra when the accident happened.

She confirmed that the two persons on the motorbike were not wearing crash helmet.

She disclosed that the bodies of the two persons had been deposited at the Effia-Nkwanta Regional Hospital in Sekondi.

According to ASP Adiku, the driver of the bus, Edward Williams, was in police custody while investigations into the case were ongoing.

From Emmanuel Opoku, Takoradi

This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.