Two victims of Nungua zongo gas explosion dead

Two victims of the Nungua gas explosion are reported dead at the Korle Bu Reconstruction, Plastic Surgery and Burns Unit in Accra.

A 75-year-old grandmother, Habiba Mumuni and the gas cylinder repairer, Abdul Nassir, 25, who were caught up in the explosion died on July 27 and July 25, 2014, respectively.

This brings the death toll to three.
The first death was recorded on Wednesday, July 16, 2014, the same day, the incident occurred.

Six family members reportedly sustained multiple degrees of injury when they attempted to use a faulty gas cylinder, which had just been fixed by a repairer.

However, the remaining three including a minor, hospital officials said were responding to treatment. reported recently that some benevolent organizations and individuals had rallied support to help treat five persons caught up in the Nungua zongo gas explosion last Wednesday.

The surviving victims complained they could not afford the cost of treatment and called on the general public to help.

A Senior Resident at the Korle Bu Reconstruction, Plastic Surgery and Burns Unit, Dr. Nyigba Edem had told earlier that they had exhausted the available medications and required additional stock for their treatment.

Updating the status of donations Monday, Dr. Edem mentioned some donations have been made by individuals and organisations but more was needed to take care of the remaining three patients.

The victims seemed helpless at the moment but doctors said they were frantically doing their best to resuscitate them. It was confirmed they were in stable condition.

They needed an estimated amount of GH₵750 to GH₵1,500 per week for their treatment.

The deceased, according to, Dr. Edem suffered a 100 per cent total body surface area burn, which means every part of the skin was badly affected.

Joy News’ Beatrice Adu, who visited the victims at the infirmary, said she saw three of the patients including the repairer of the cylinder, a 55-year-old mother of the other victims and a one-year-old baby girl.

She reported that the 55-year-old had her face and legs bandaged. The little girl also had her whole body covered.

The repairer, she added also had his whole body covered in bandage. He could not lift a bottle of water to drink and was assisted by a family member.

Due to the excruciating pains, the victims lost a lot of fluid in their system and Dr. Edem said more was needed to resuscitate them.

He, however, indicated that dressing the wounds would be quite expensive. According to him, a 25 per cent burn may need four-five tubes of topical antibiotic ointment per dressing.

Surgery, he added would be carried out when needed.

This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.