Ahamanso JHS Burnt Down

Gideon Akahoho inpsecting one of the burnt classrooms

The woes of pupils and teachers of the Ahamanso EP Junior High School in the Kadjebi District of the Volta Region have been compounded as their already deplorable school has been razed by fire.

The unfortunate incident which happened last Saturday dawn destroyed three of the rickety four classroom blocks, thus the staff common room and two classrooms containing tables and chairs of the teachers and about 60 desks and other properties running into several thousands of Ghana cedis.

The headmaster of the school, Samuel Agyare, who was in shock, said the fire had compounded their woes and wondered how the Junior High School pupils who were in their exam period would write their exams without tables and chairs.

He said the school, which was established in 1950, had for the past 64 years seen no renovation.

When DAILY GUIDE got to the scene, cracks could be seen all over the building. The walls of the building which needed painting also had several patches and alterations to keep the falling pieces of the building together.

Narrating the incident to DAILY GUIDE, Mr. Agyare said the fire was detected at about 3:00 am by a hunter who was returning from a nearby farm.

The hunter then informed the Regent of the town, Nana Ofori-Kumah, who subsequently summoned the town crier to beat a gong-gong to mobilise the community to save what was left of their deplorable school.

The community members immediately carried water and other resources they could find, including motor blowers to put out the fire. He said as the women supplied water the men climbed the ceiling to stop the fire from reaching the fourth room.

The townsfolk managed to tame the fire before personnel of the Fire Service stationed several kilometres away could reach them. Although the Fire Service was yet to make their report, the headmaster suspected some bags of charcoal placed in the classroom which was serving as staff common room was the cause of the fire.

The bags of charcoal which served as a means of an internally generated fund to support two teachers who are not on government pay roll were placed in the room to prevent thieves from stealing them. He suspected that some heated charcoal particles might have sparked the fire which eventually gutted the classrooms.

The Circuit Supervisor, Gideon Akahoho, who was inspecting the building, said ‘this is really unfortunatebut the damage has already been caused. We thank God that there was no casualty.’

Speaking on how the exams could continue, he said since the final year students had completed their external examination, he would plead with some nearby schools to make available some desks to be used by the Ahamanso EP JHS pupils for their exams.

As to what would happen if it rained, he said the students were left with about a week to vacate and so prayed the rains would spare them that week.

 From Fred Duodu, Ahamanso ( [email protected] )

This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.