4 Killed In Teshie Gory Crash

The victims being taken out of the car
A tipper truck driver who attempted to overtake a bus while negotiating a curve on the Teshie Bush Road in Accra yesterday lost control of the vehicle and drove straight into a fully-loaded taxi, killing four persons on the spot.

The dead comprised a three-year-old schoolgirl and her mother, as well as two other male adults who were also passengers of the Kia Pride taxi with registration number GR 6707 Z.

The driver of the taxi and another passenger who survived the accident, were said to be in critical condition at the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital.

The dead were yet to be identified by their families.

Confirming the incident to DAILY GUIDE, Superintendent Cindy Osei, the Kpeshie Divisional Motor Traffic and Transport Unit (MTTU) Commander said the accident occurred at a spot called Teshie Container on the Bush Road around 8:00am yesterday.

The Mercedes Benz Tipper Truck with registration number ER 2752 X, driven by Bright Botwe, 32, was from Teshie Rasta heading towards Teshie-La Beach, while the Kia Pride taxi, which was fully loaded, was from the opposite direction and heading towards Rasta.

Six persons including the three-year-old schoolgirl and her mother were on board the taxi.

The tipper truck driver claimed that he lost control of his vehicle and veered off into the lane of the cab, running it over and killing the four persons.

The deceased child was sitting on the lap of the mother at the time of the accident.

Driver of the Kia Pride taxi and another passenger were seriously injured and still unconscious at the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital where they were sent for medical attention.

It took several hours for the police, together with officials of the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO) and soldiers as well as personnel of the Fire Service to remove the trapped victims from the mangled cab.

The mangled taxi, together with the tipper truck, has been towed to the Nungua Divisional MTTU compound to pave way for traffic flow.

Suspect Bright Botwe, who escaped unhurt, has been arrested and was assisting police investigations.

When Lance Corporal Francis Wuni, the investigator in charge of the case, visited the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital, the two surviving victims were still unconscious and so their statements could not be taken.

Efforts are being made to contact family members.
Meanwhile, eyewitness account indicated that suspect Bright Botwe was over-speeding when the accident occurred, making it difficult to negotiate the curve.

 ( [email protected] )
 By Linda Tenyah

This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.