The Resident Engineer supervising the 48-kilometer project, Divine Quarshigah, last Sunday told the Chief of Staff, Prosper Douglas Bani – who is rumoured to be heading out of office any moment – that contractors were yet to receive the over two years arrears promised them by the President when he paid a surprise visit to inspect the road last month.
Divine Quarshigah said, ‘The contractors have not received any payment after the President’s visit,’ adding that as at last Friday, the process had moved from the Ghana Highway Authority (GHA) to the Ministry of Finance, but monies had not yet been released. He was hopeful that the persistence of the contractors and cooperation from government would yield some rapid results.
Despite the lack of cash, he said some culvert works were ongoing, ‘but the reality is that work is progressing at slow pace due to the delays in the release of funds to the contractors – Ussuya Ghana Ltd, PMC and Jani-CORP – to enable them fully return to site. It is worthy of note that not even an inch has been added to the portion miraculously tarred when the President visited last month.’
The road, which is packaged in three lots, comprises an 18.6km stretch from Ho to Adaklu-Helekpe for lot one; and is being executed by Ussuya Gh Ltd; a 14.8km stretch between Adaklu-Helekpe and Adaklu-Ahunda for lot two, being worked on by PMC Constructions and the third lot being constructed by Jani-CORP Gh. Ltd. is a 15km stretch between Adaklu-Ahunda and Mafi-Kpedzeglo.
The rate of completion of the three lots, according to Mr. Quarshigah, stands at 48.5 percent for Lot one; 50.2 for Lot two and 49 percent for Lot three. The resident engineer was hopeful that if funds are released consistently the road will be fully completed by the end of December 2014.
Three weeks ago the President toured the said road and pleaded with the chiefs of Adidome, Adaklu and Asogli in Ho over the delay of the project. His visit was a damage control mechanism to water down heightening agitations in the Volta Region, including an intended demonstration by the chiefs and people of the Asogli State backed by the Agbogbomefia, Togbe Afede XIV.
He pleaded and the demonstration was called off. However, three weeks down the line, the issues that are calling for the demonstration are yet to be addressed. Others are the uncompleted Eastern Corridor Road, delay in the Ho Central Market project, the dual carriage road for Ho, and the congestion on the Senchi Ferry site.
The Chief of Staff, Prosper Bani, in response said, ‘I don’t want payment to be an issue after the President’s visit’ and promised to follow up on the process to ensure that the contractors get the monies to complete the road on schedule.
This, he said, would alleviate the inconveniences caused by the closure of the Adomi bridge for major rehabilitation works.
Madam Fafa Adinyira, Mary Agbenyenu and Sky Ganaku, the Chief Executives of Ho Municipal, Adaklu and Central Tongu districts respectively, who also accompanied the Chief of Staff on his tour with the Deputy Regional Minister, Francis Ganyaglo, raised concerns about the quality of materials being used for the construction and urged the resident engineer to ensure the use of standard materials to ensure the longevity of the road when completed.
From Fred Duodu and Lambert Atsivor, Ho and Adidome ( [email protected] )
This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.