Family of 36-year-old teacher mourns her death along with unborn baby

The family of a 36-year-old teacher, Evelyn Amponsah Ayinimi, who died along with her unborn baby during birth, is still mourning her death.

Evelyn was referred to the Winneba Trauma and Specialist Hospital somewhere last month with an overdue pregnancy but her family said no specialist doctor attended to her for several hours until the situation got critical.

Her husband, Sampson Baaba Ayinimi, who narrated her ordeal to Joy News’ Joseph Opoku Gakpo, insisted if the medical officials had attended to the wife on time, she and the unborn child would have survived.

The deceased left her home at Kasoa in the early hours of 11th June, 2014 with her husband for the Winneba Trauma and Specialist Hospital, hoping to return soon with her baby.

But that never was. She had been referred from the Justab Hospital at Kasoa because the pregnancy was overdue by one week, and the child was also too big to be delivered naturally.

The expectation was for her to see a specialist for a possible caesarian section. But eight hours after she had been admitted to the hospital, her husband, Sampson Baaba Ayinimi says only nurses attended to her, until the situation went out of hand.

He narrated: ‘One nurse came and called her, and gave her a drug, (Cytotec 200 mg tablets), which she inserted into her vagina. Then she said she is feeling pain. Then she vomited all the food that she ate. Then the water from her vagina poured out. Then the nurse took her to another ward. Then my wife collapsed and fainted. So, it was there that they were calling for a doctor. And that was the end, my wife died.’

Sampson said at least, his unborn child could have been saved if the medical personnel acted swiftly. ‘After it happened, I thought they would have quickly operated and removed the baby from her. But they kept here somewhere. And later about an hour and some minutes, they took me to the ward, and then I questioned them on why they hadn’t removed the baby. Then the nurse told me that the baby also died. That is why they did not remove the baby,’ he said.

Sampson added ‘When we went there, they should have done the operation, cut and removed the baby. I think the baby would not die, my wife would not die. But they delayed when it was serious that they were going to operate. If they were to do that earlier, I think I would have had my wife and my baby.’

Sampson and Evelyn, who got married last year, were expecting their first child. The baby has since been buried while Evelyn would be buried this month. Sampson is more incensed about what he indicated was an attempt by the hospital officials to cover up.

He noted the day after the death of his wife, one of the nurses at the hospital snapped the referral letter that had been given to her.

Joseph Opoku Gakpo travelled to Winneba to get answers from officials at the Trauma and Specialist Hospital but the Director declined to comment, claiming it was a patient-client confidentiality.

This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.