Deputy Organiser of the ruling National Democratic Congress (NDC) in the Ashaiman Constituency, Mohammed Sani Hussein and more than 18 people have been rendered homeless following an inferno that engulfed their house at the Roundabout at dawn on Tuesday.
The fire, which began at about 1:30 am, razed down six bedrooms being occupied by five different families, a shop and a mosque, destroying electrical appliances, diagnosis machines for vehicles, sets of furniture, sewing machines, food items and personal effects.
Some occupants in the house were seen wailing while others praised the firemen for his bravery as no casualty was recorded in the fire that destroyed properties worth thousands of Ghana cedis.
Personnel of the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) who responded to a distress call, took about two hours to bring the fire under control.
Two fire engines from Ashaiman Main Fire and Tema Regional Fire Services managed to put out the fire after the Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG) personnel were called to the scene to disconnect the main source of electricity supply to the building in order to forestall any possible electrocution.
Some scavengers described as scrap dealers who rushed to the scene the following morning with intent to remove burnt metals, especially electrical cables, were nearly attacked by some residents who were consoling the victims.
Briefing the DAILY GUIDE at the scene of the fire, Omuro Fuseni, an occupant of the house, said they experienced electricity power outage in the area at about 6:00 pm, compelling most of them to sleep early.
A few minutes after, power was restored and they noticed some flames in the kitchen and so they quickly came out of their rooms with intent to put out the fire. However, Mr. Omuro Fuseni claimed, the fire spread quickly to other rooms, destroying properties worth thousands of Ghana cedis.
Although the fire fighters said that it was too early to pinpoint the cause of the fire, residents attributed it to power rationing by the ECG.