Lighted Candle Put Houses On Fire in Yaba Area

Fire has engulfed plank houses in a small Makoko community in the Yaba Local Government area of Lagos State on Wednesday, June 18. 

The fire started around 7.20pm in one of Makao residents apartment and destroyed properties worth millions of naira. The likely cause of fire is said to be a lighted candle that was put under the bed by one of the tenant’s little children.

When the fire broke out the tenant, Iyawo Oseku, and her kids left the house and all their valuable items in a burning building. Unfortunately, the inferno razed several houses in the area, leaving many in the streets. According to the locals, some children got burned but luckily no one died.

Oseku’s neighbour, Iya Lati, lamented, “It was God that saved my life and that of my children because my room was the closest to Iyawo Oseku’s room. I was already sleeping until a call came in. I was about receiving the call when I saw fire. All my property are lost. I could not pick anything except my phone.”

Other residents claimed that due to the fire they lost all their сash and household appliances. Firefighters from the Lagos State Fire Service and Lagos State Emergency Management Agency officials were seen battling to put out the fire.

If you wish to know how this story develops, use 

Know more about this news? Update the info!