Kotoko strike in extra-time to win MTN FA Cup for season’s double

Asante Kotoko completed their first ever double by clinching the FA Cup with an extra time win over Inter Allies on Sunday.

Striker and captain of the day, Seidu Bancey tapped in at close range to see the Premier League champions emerge with a hard fought 2-1 win over a determined Inter Allies after 120 minutes of football at the Accra Sports Stadium.

The game started on a frantic mode as Kotoko came close to opening the scoring in just the first minute.

Bancey miscued his rebounded volley much to the disappointment of the expectant fans of the Porcupine Warriors.

Inter Allies responded in like measure immediately off Kotoko’s first chance and should have scored.

But goalkeeper Joseph Addo was alert to snuff out the attack as Talla Ndiaye tried to beat him in a one-on-one situation.

Kotoko then returned with another chance five minutes later but Abdul Aziz Yusif struck straight into the side net.

It however didn’t take that long for Inter Allies to succumb to the inevitable.

Winger Richard Mpong capitalized on an intended header to Inter Allies goalkeeper Osei Kwame to smash in a deserved opener in the 8th minute.

The goal sparked Inter Allies attacking onslaught but Abeiku Ainooson was however one of his good days in the Kotoko defence.

Ndiaye’s attempted curler into the far-post was charged down by the backtracking Amos Frimpong.

The game then went through a patchy spell with numerous tackles and cautions being handed out by referee William Agbovi.

Michael Akuffo was the closest to scoring for the remainder of the half but his well-struck shot went straight into the arms of goalkeeper Osei Kwame in the 35th minute.

Inter Allies however returned to the second half the more purposeful side and launched a series of attack.

The resolute Kotoko defence were however not budging and repelled these repetitive attacks but their efficiency at the back were dropping gradually and it told significantly in the 58th minute.

Ndiaye found himself in space in Kotoko’s goal area when a scrambled ball dropped to his feet.

He kept his composure and did well not to miss by planting the ball well beyond the outstretched arms of goalkeeper Joseph Addo.

The goal was just what was needed for Herbert Addo’s side as they went on to boss the game since their vital equalizer.

Kotoko had a penalty shout turned down by referee William Agbovi after Seidu Bancey tumbled in the box in the 68th minute.

The Kotoko fans were least amused by the decision but it appeared to be the right call.

Sheriff Mohammed then had a chance to edge Inter Allies into the lead in the 77th minute but his free header lacked the power and direction to trouble Joseph Addo in the Kotoko post.

Kotoko almost won it at the depth but substitute Isaac Boakye failed to release the ball when vitally needed to send the game into extra time.

The Premier League champions showed their intent from the on set as Inter Allies needed a goal line clearance from Diop Dauda to deny Kotoko the lead in just the first minute of extra time.

Michael Akuffo then agonizingly rattled the cross bar off a free kick in the fourth minute of extra time as yet another opportunity for Kotoko went by.

The game headed into the second half of extra time where striker Bancey would win it for Kotoko.

Goalkeeper Osei who had been impressive all afternoon for Inter Allies spilled a drilled Jordan Opoku shot into the path of Bancey who coolly slotted home the winner.


For more Ghana football news visit www.ghanasoccernet.com

This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.