I Didn’t Kill Cops – Kombian

Johnson Kombian
Johnson Kombian, the notorious armed robber currently serving imprisonment term for breaking jail, has said that he had no idea about the shooting incident that led to the death of Lance Cpls Owusu Frimpong, Prince Agyare and the shooting of the sole survivor of the attack that occurred at the Napkanduri Scarp.

This assertion was made known at the Fast Track High Court by the investigator in the case, ASP Hanson Gove of the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) when he appeared in the court presided over by Justice Mustapha Habib Logoh, where Kombian is being tried for the murder of the two police officers and for shooting Cpl Osei Bonsu.

Led in his evidence in-chief by the principal state attorney, Marina Appiah, the investigator stated that Kombian had told the police in his caution statement that ‘I did not know that two policemen had been killed’.

He said the suspect rather stated in his statement that some police officers in their area came and arrested some young men and afterwards some houses, including his, were burnt to the ground so he, his wife and children had nowhere to lay their heads.

ASP Hanson Gove said Kombian stated that he went to look for a place for his family to lay their heads and it was when he was returning that he was arrested by the police.

The investigator indicated that he knew the suspect because he was arrested and brought to the CID Headquarters by a combined team of Interpol Ghana and Togo on November 24, 2010.

Furthermore, he stated that he was asked by the Director-General of the CID to lead a team of investigators to the north and so they set off and went to Tamale where they slept and continued to the Bunkprugu Yunyoo District the following day.

In addition, the investigator indicated, while there they met ASP Abdulai Mumuni who was the Commander at the said district, adding that the commander was awaiting transfer to the Volta Region.

The investigator noted that ASP Mumuni led them to the scene of the crime and the last duty post of the police officers where measurements and pictures were taken and saw the motorbike used by the police officers and from which they fell after being shot by the suspect and his accomplices.

The police officer said he took measurements around the scarp where the attack took place and found 24 cartridges.

In addition, he said he took statements from others after he had taken statement from the suspect and it was established that the deceased police officers and their surviving colleague were stationed at the said district, adding that the motorbike they used was owned by Osei Bonsu.

Explaining further, he stated that on November 17, 2010, the police officers were on duty around the scarp and after the last vehicle had left the area the suspects decided to leave.

ASP Hanson Gove indicated that while on their way, the police officers were ambushed and attacked, adding that the suspect and his accomplices fired at the police officers, prompting Clp Agyare to call the office to inform his colleagues that they had been attacked.

He said Agyare after the call, tried to stop a moving vehicle for help but it did not and said it was when he was returning to his colleagues that he was shot.

The investigator said Agyare fell and died instantly while returning to his colleagues and when ASP Mumuni and his team arrived at the scene of the shooting, the police officers  and their deceased colleague were taken to the Baptist Medical Centre at Nalerigu and that Owusu Frimpong died later in hospital.

By Fidelia Achama

This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.