A deputy National Organizer of the National Democratic Congress, Alhaji Baba Sheriff, has entreated members of the USA branch of the ruling party to embark on a vigorous membership drive and work in unison in ensuring the party retains power in the 2016 elections.
Underscoring roles NDC-USA played in the struggle to come to power in 2008 and retaining it in the keenly contested 2012 elections, the deputy National Organizer advised the Diaspora branch not to underrate its contributions to the development of the party.
Speaking at a special biennial conference of NDC-USA in Dallas, Texas, Alhaji Sheriff, who was one of the special guests of honour from Ghana, tasked delegates and members to continue to work in support of the NDC and President John Mahama’s administration
He noted that, the President is on course in delivering on his manifesto promises, assuring that “those who are hoping to see failure will be disappointed.”
Touching on the ongoing economic difficulties facing the country, Alhaji Sheriff explained that the economic challenges are not peculiar to Ghana, but a global phenomenon being experienced by robust economies across the globe.
While stating that government’s Economic Management Team is working towards putting the economy back on track, he said “in Ghana’s case, there are other factors responsible, among them is, the donor support component of the our overall budget which has drastically dwindle. The other problem is our wage bill which is taking a toll on the overall budget. The wage for example takes close to 70% of the total budget leaving less than 30% for the rest of the country’s needed infrastructure and other sectors of the economy.”
Nonetheless, he remained optimistic, saying “as social democrats” the NDC remained committed to the full implementation of policies and programs which can lead to greater investment opportunities that will enhance the socio-economic development of the country.
The conference, which was under the team “”NDC-USA, Building a Dynamic, Prosperous and Stable Democracy for 2016″ was part of activities lined up for 2014, for branch executives and their delegates to converge and share notes on the progress of the branch and make decision for the rest of the remaining calendar towards the political fortune of the NDC.
The special invited guests of honor for this year’s conference were Deputy Secretary General, Mr. George Lawson, Alhaji Baba Sherif, Deputy National Organizer and Hon. Samuel Ambre, Member of Parliament – Assin North.
In a welcome remark, the Chairman of NDC USA, Nii Armah Ashiboi thanked all delegates for gracing the colorful occasion and assured that they will work towards increasing their membership in ensuring that NDC retains power in 2016.