Capital punishment: AshGold banned from next season’s MTN FA Cup

By Prince Dornu-Leiku
Ashantigold CEO, Kudjoe Fianoo may well head to court as he has threatened following a massive punishment heaped on his club in the aftermath of their MTN FA Cup fiasco in case of their purported quarter final tie against Asante Kotoko.

Having already been declared losers for forfeiting the tie, Ashgold have now been fined a cash of GH¢5,000 (five thousand Ghana Cedis) in accordance with Article 35 (7) (d) of the GFA Regulations following 3 charges of misconduct brought against them by the GFA Prosecutor.

Worse still for Kudjoe Fianoo’s side, they have been banned from the MTN FA Cup for the 2014/15 season as a result of the Disciplinary Committee’s ruling on the subject-matter.

‘Ashantigold shall not be allowed to enter the FA Cup competition for next season in accordance with Article 14 (4) of the GFA Regulations,’ the Disciplinary Committee verdict pronounced.

In addition, the 1994, 1995 and 1996 Ghana champions are also fined GH¢250 (two hundred and fifty Ghana Cedis) in accordance with Article 23 (3) (b) of the GFA Regulations for failing to turn up for the pre-match meeting on purported match day April 13, 2014.

Ashgold have also been ordered to refund to the Ghana Football Association, the amount of GH¢1,040 paid by the GFA to the Ghana Police Service who turned up for the purported match in accordance with Article 14 (2) of the GFA Regulations.

Ashantigold were charged with three counts of misconduct for failure to attend the pre-match technical meeting for their game against Asante Kotoko at the Accra Sports Stadium on April 13, failure to honour the said match and for bringing the game into disrepute resulting in immeasurable cost  and irreparable damage to the GFA from various partners and sponsors.

Ashantigold faield to turn up in Accra for the game they were originally scheduled to play against Kotoko at the Baba Yara Stadium in Kumasi but which’s venue was switched due to a home ban placed on Kotoko 72 hours to match day.

The Disciplinary Committee consequently ruled that they had forfeited the match and declared them losers with a fine to boot. The club appealed the verdict but it was also thrown out by the Appeals Committee which again dismissed a further appeal for review by the Obuasi club.

For more sports news visit

This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.