Some companies that were faulted for taking money for services they failed to render to the Ghana Youth Employment and Entrepreneurial Agency (GYEEDA), have begun refund of the funds to government.
It followed series of engagements between the service providers and the Attorney General’s Department and Ministry of Justice, to reimburse the millions of cedis they earned from the agency although they failed to deliver the contracted services.
“…I know that they held meetings at which they made arrangements for the payment of the monies [and] I’ve also heard that some of them have started paying in accordance to the agreements reached,” Minister of Information and Media Relations, Mahama Ayariga told Kojo Yankson, host of the Super Morning Show on Joy FM, Friday.
Mr. Ayariga was however, short of the details of these companies as well as how much has been paid back to the government.
“I heard from the people at GYEEDA but the exact detail I cannot immediately provide…[information on] how much has been paid”.
Government earlier this year terminated all service contracts between GYEEDA and its service providers, except the sanitation module, following a Joy News’ revelation over the alleged fraudulent manner with which some of the contracts were awarded.
The contracts terminated included Rlg Communication’s training module, Asongtaba Cottage Industry & Exchange Programme (ACI&EP) and the Better Ghana Management Services Limited, a subsidiary of Jospong Group, the parent company of Zoomlion. The with Zoomlion however remains due to the priority government places on sanitation.
Withdrawal of adverts
President John Mahama on Thursday ordered the Acting Executive Director of GYEEDA, Kobby Acheampong to immediately cancel the Agency’s invitation for proposals from the public toward implementing an ICT module.
Adverts in the state-owned Daily Graphic have been running for the proposal requests.
In a statement signed by Minister of Information and Media Relations, Mahama Ayariga, the President said the GYEEDA invitation for proposals must be withdrawn because it is without authorisation.
According to the statement: “The Office of the President has reiterated that all directives on GYEEDA remain in force,” adding that: “The request for proposals to implement an ICT model presently being advertised by GYEEDA is therefore without authorisation and should be withdrawn.”
The President also ordered the Acting Executive Director “to expedite action on the reforms contained in the initial Presidential directives on GYEEDA to pave the way for implementation of modules that would create job opportunities for the youth.”
This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.