Kombian Killed Two Policemen -Officer Tells Court

Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Abdulai Mumuni, a former District Commander of Bunkpurugu Yunyoo in the Northern Region, on Thursday affirmed that Johnson Kombian, a convict killed two policemen.

At an Accra Fast Track High Court, ASP Abudulai explained that it was the colleagues of the victims who disclosed that it was Kombian who killed Constable Prince Agyare and Constable Owusu Frimpong.

The third policeman, Corporal Osei Bonsu, who sustained gunshot wounds, survived the attack.

Answering questions under cross-examination from Mr George Asamaning, Defence Counsel, ASP Abudulai, now the Commander of the Odorkor Motor Transport and Traffic Unit, said Kombian was accused of the killing because, after carrying the nefarious act, he came out from his hideout when the place was quite.

Led in evidence by Mrs Marian Appiah Opare, Principal State Attorney, ASP Mumuni told the court that on October 17, 2010, he was about to go home when he had a call from his station officer that three policemen have been shot.

ASP Mumuni said he therefore called Detective Corporal (DC) Samuel Adinkra Darko on phone to ascertain whether the matter was true.

When DC Darko confirmed the incident, ASP Mumuni said he mobilised five personnel and proceeded to the scene.

On their way, ASP Mumuni said he had calls from some natives of Nankpanduri that Kombian had come to town holding AK 47 rifle, telling people that they should run away as the Police was preparing to attack them.

“When we got to town, Nankpanduri, the place was deserted and a few people who saw us run into the bush. We continued our journey to the duty post, which was 500 meters away from the scene,” the second prosecution witness said.

ASP Mumuni said on their way they heard Constable Osei Bonsu shouting for help and saw Constable Agyare’s body lying lifeless in a pool of blood.

“With the help of four of others, we took our colleagues to Nalerigu Baptist Health Centre where two days after Constable Frimpong died. Constable Osei Bonsu was referred to the Police Hospital for further treatment.

ASP Mumuni said the following day; the Police retrieved one AK 47 belonging to one of dead policemen, adding: “and at the other side of the road we found 24 spent bullets and pistol.”

During Investigations, ASP Mumuni said they had information that Kombian had escaped to Togo, adding, “authorities at Togo asked us to bring Kombian’s photograph.”

ASP Mumuni said a month after the incident, while at the wake keeping of Constable Agyare at Tafo in the Eastern Region, he had a call from one of the senior officers in Togo that Kombian has been arrested.

“I then informed the Regional Commander and Interpol Ghana about Kombian’s arrest,” he said.

Kombian and his accomplices, who are on the run, were alleged to have ambushed the three policemen on October 17, 2010.

Kombian has denied the charge of conspiracy and two counts of killing the two police officers before a seven member jury. He has been remanded into prison custody by the court.

Hearing continues on April 8.