Notorious Robber Kombian Returns To Court (PHOTO)

Notorious robber, Johnson Kombian, is expected back in court today, after the Fast Track High Court last Monday adjourned his trial to March 19, 2014.

He is facing two counts of murder and one count of conspiracy.

The adjournment followed the absence of the accused person’s counsel at the court when the case was called at 10.22 a.m.

However, Mr George Asomani, the counsel, showed up at the court at about 10.30 a.m. after his client had been whisked away from the court by prison wardens.

At the previous trial on March 4, 2014, Kombian failed to appear before the court.

That, according to a Principal State Attorney, Mrs Marina Appiah Opare, was because the police were unable to serve the prison authorities with a warrant to bring Kombian to the court and that prompted the judge, Mr Justice M. H. Logoh, to adjourn proceedings to March 17. Kombian, who once broke jail and suffered a penalty for it, has been accused of murdering two policemen.
Offence committed

Kombian, alias Garkum, and his accomplices who are currently on the run, are alleged to have ambushed three policemen on October 17, 2010 and succeeded in killing two of them.

The deceased are Constable Prince Agyare and Constable Owusu Frimpong.

A third policeman, Corporal Osei Bonsu, sustained gunshot wounds and survived.
Facts of the case

Kombian allegedly conspired with his friend, Kofi Naaman, known as Accra Boy, to rob Djato Mathias and then attempted to kill him.

The notorious robber was arrested, tried and sentenced to six years’ imprisonment by the Tamale Circuit Court but he escaped while serving his jail term.

According to the prosecution, Kombian sought refuge at Nakpanduri in the Bunkprugu Yunyoo District of the Northern Region, which happened to be his home town.

On October 17, 2010, the accused person and his accomplices received information that a number of policemen had been detailed to perform duties at the Nakpanduri Scarp.

Suspecting that the policemen had been assigned to pick him up, Kombian and his friends, who were also labelled as notorious robbers by the prosecution, ambushed and attacked the three policemen. They allegedly fired gunshots at the deceased policemen who were then on a motorbike. The policemen fell into a 10-metre long valley.

The accused person and his group continued to fire sporadically into the valley, with the hope of killing the policemen, who also retaliated with occasional gun fire.

After 30 minutes of firing, Kombian and his gang stopped, and on realising that the gunshots had ended, Agyare and his colleagues mistakenly thought their attackers had left. They, therefore, came out of their hideout and were subjected to more gun fire.

Help finally came for Agyare and his colleagues while Kombian and his accomplices bolted. The wounded policemen were conveyed to the Nalerigu Hospital but Agyare was later pronounced dead.

Frimpong also died later, while Bonsu was transferred to the Police Hospital in Accra where he was treated and discharged.
The escape

Kombian escaped to Togo after the incident but he was later picked up by the Togolese authorities and handed over to the Ghanaian authorities.

He was convicted by the circuit court presided over by Mr Justice E. Kyei-Baffour, and sentenced to serve five years’ imprisonment for escaping from lawful custody.