AMA Shuts Down Grand View Hotel


Alfred Oko Vanderpuye inspecting the site
The Accra Metropolitan Assembly (AMA) has closed down Grand View Hotel, the six-storey building that collapsed at Nii Boi Town near Abeka Lapaz in Accra, killing one and injuring another last Thursday.

The Metropolitan Chief Executive, Alfred Oko Vanderpuije, declared the place a ‘crime scene’ after visiting the area with his technical team and the security agencies yesterday.

He said AMA had ordered the police to investigate the matter after preliminary investigations proved that S K Omari, owner of the building, had no proper documents covering the land and hence had no building permit to the building.

‘We want it to be noted that this building, Grand View Hotel, is under serious investigations until investigations are completed,’ he said.

Mr. Vanderpuije reiterated that three officers of AMA, including the Head of Building Inspectorate, George Benefo, and two others from the Okaikoi North Sub-Metro – George Agyare and Frank Lamptey – have been interdicted with no pay and handed over to be investigated by the police.

‘The three men interdicted have become part of investigations and would be investigated and prosecuted,’ he said.

He disclosed that the inspectors would be charged for negligence because instead of stopping the construction, they rather supervised it.

He warned individuals or group of persons erecting any buildings in the area to desist from it, if they have no permit covering them (buildings) because they would be pulled down.

‘Now we know that individuals have been constructing in this area without permit. Stop work, come to AMA to sit with the works department and follow the necessary procedure before you will be allowed to build,’ the Accra Mayor charged.

No Show
http://www.dailyguideghana.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/grand-view1.jpg

Grand View Hotel
A meeting scheduled betw een the residents and Mr. Omari did not take place, leaving them frustrated.

Earlier reports received by DAILY GUIDE indicated that Mr. Omari had arranged to meet all the 22 affected victims. However, that meeting could not come on.

Mr. M A Osei, a resident, told the paper that since the incident occurred, residents had not seen Mr. Omari in the area but they were shocked when one Asiedu, brother of Mr. Omari, informed them that his brother was preparing to meet them.

Chief Superintendent Lydia Donkor, Tesano District Police Commander, told the paper that investigations had since begun into the matter.

Mr. Omari and Moses Abbey, the contractor working on the six-storey hotel, were on bail and would avail themselves to the police when needed.

Unconfirmed reports indicate that the engineers had been invited by the police to test samples of the debris of the collapsed building.

After the testing had been completed, the experts would then advise the police on charges to level against the offenders.

The collapsed six-storey building happened on the heels of a similar tragedy when the building housing Melcom at the nearby Achimota collapsed killing scores of people in 2012.

( [email protected] mailto:[email protected] )

By Linda Tenyah 
 
 

Comments:
This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.

Comments