Three Arrested In Radio Justice Attack In Tamale

Three people have been arrested by the Tamale police for their alleged involvement in the torching of properties at Radio Justice in Tamale, Tuesday morning.

A hunt is on for several others who took part in the rampaging attack which left four cars and motorbikes burnt beyond repairs.

The angry mob besieged the premises of the station demanding that a New Patriotic Party representative on the Station’s morning show programme be presented to them.

They accused the NPP representative of making insensitive comments about one Mustapha Abdul Rashid who was lynched early Monday.

The General Manager of the radio station, Kafim Hamza who witnessed the incident told Joy News a call came through the discussion programme that the NPP representative was going to be attacked.

They quickly invited the police for security, he said.

But even before the police arrived, the mob had turned their anger on the properties, burning cars and motorbikes parked at the premises. The police intervened and tried to maintain calm.

Tuesday’s attack is just one of a recent spate of violent attacks that have led to the death of two people.

One, said to be a member of the NPP Youth Group Kandaha was shot dead, Saturday while another, Mustapha Abdul Rashid, said to be a member of the NDC was lynched, Monday.

The Northern Region Police PRO ASP Ebenezer Tetteh would not link the two deaths to Tuesday’s attack on Justice FM, except to say that the mob claimed the comments made by the NPP rep on the radio was insensitive.

He said the arrested persons were part of the mob that attacked the radio station Tuesday. No arrest has yet been made for the two deaths.

Ebenezer Tetteh said calm has returned and the presence of the police would be felt more.

The spate of violent attacks have led to the constitution of an emergency meeting by the Regional Security Command to discuss the way forward.

Joy News’ correspondent Martina Bugri whose motorbike was burnt in the vandalism said the place is quiet at least for now.

She said the people are suspecting a curfew will be imposed in the area after the meeting.

Meanwhile, the Member of Parliament of the area Haruna Iddrisu says he is “concerned about developments in Tamale which is likely to undermine peace in the area.”

He made a passionate appeal to all leaders-political, chiefs to do that which is possible to preserve the peace of the area notwithstanding the “regrettable incident” that happened.

He said “government will contain the situation but the residents must cooperate” to ensure peace.