When it comes to gender, double standards are alive and well. Let’s face it: despite all of the advances toward gender equality, many people still expect different things from men and women. Here are five things society looks down on women for:
1. Having “too many” s*xual partners. While no-one’s “number” should matter, the s*xual double standard is alive and well. Men who sleep around are “studs,” but women who do the same are “sluts.” What’s more, a disturbing study found that women labelled”promiscuous” were rejected by their male and female peers, which is all kinds of messed up.
2. Having a messy home. Though an estimated 81 percent of men and 87 percent of women report feeling anxious about home upkeep, women still do the majority of the housework. Why? Because women are judged much more harshly than men for having a messy home.
3. Being overweight. Though both men and women experience fat prejudice, studies have found that overweight women feel more societal pressure to lose weight than overweight men.
4. Being blunt or assertive. A woman who speaks her mind too much is deemed bossy, aggressive or arrogant – whereas a mouthy dude is simply showcasing his executive leadership skills.
5. Not having children. Childfree women are often referred to as “selfish” and told they will regret their decision not to have kids. Because what kind of unnatural woman would never want to be a mother? Men get no such flak — being a dad isn’t considered to be an essential part of manhood. Plus, men have way more time to decide if they want kids!