The youth who attacked doctors and nurses at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital over the body of a dead baby has apologized for their action.
Spokesperson, Mohammed Abdul Rahman issued the apology at a meeting between the Ashanti Regional Security Council and leaders of the Zongo Community in Kumasi.
The doctors and nurses withdrew their services after the assault last week and have since remained on strike.
The care givers feared their lives were in danger and called for police protection before they return to work.
Several appeals by the stakeholders to get the doctors back on duty have been futile thus far.
A meeting between Deputy Health Minister, Dr. Alfred Sugri Tia and the doctors on Tuesday failed to yield any positive result. The doctors are demanding military deployment in addition to police reinforcement currently at the hospital.
Their fear was heightened by a press statement issued by the youth who threatened the hospital authorities to provide the body of the baby.
The content read: “If you know our community very well, we live together and are bonded by strong ties. They would not easily be deterred by these cheap and wicked acts if they (KATH and police) so choose”.
“We hereby state categorically that if we do not get our baby alive or dead. We shall not give up. This is just the beginning”.
But there has been a counter press statement signed by Mohammed Abdul Rahman, Spokesperson of the family who lost the baby retracting contents of the earlier release.
Sounding apologetic, he on behalf of the youth and family apologized for the attack on staff of Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital.
“We are human and to err is human; we apologize for whatever has happened. We apologize entirely and the way forward is for us to leave everything to REGSEC and police to investigate”. Mr. Rahman said.
Despite the apology, the leadership of the doctors and nurses could not give a definite response as to when they would resume work, but members of REGSEC are “hopeful of their return to duty soon”.
Ashanti Regional Minister, Eric Opoku, who chaired today’s meeting, told Nhyira FM he is convinced doctors and nurses could soon return to work.
“Various concerns were raised and all the issues have been dealt with accordingly. But all indications point to the fact that we are reaching consensus. We have finished discussing all issues and we are convinced beyond reasonable doubt that whatever discussions we have had will yield the results that we expect”. Mr Opoku revealed.
Mr. Opoku assures REGSEC will support the police as they investigate to establish the whereabouts of the body of the dead baby.
“We have some criminal issues to be investigated. Disappearance of the body must be seriously investigated. The security agencies have commenced their investigations and they are still on it. Let me state that the entire Komfo Anokye family is also behind the security agencies”. Mr. Opoku revealed.
Meanwhile the doctors have scheduled a meeting to deliberate on their come-back to official duties for Thursday.