Adjei Kojo residents to protest at Parliament House – if MPs don’t visit area within 48 hours

Residents of Adjei Kojo in Tema whose homes were demolished /news/2014/February-17th/adjei-kojo-residents-homeless-again-tdc-pulls-down-make-shift-accommodation-structures.php last month say they would demonstrate in front of Parliament House unless a special committee set up to investigate the matter visits the area within 48 hours.

The Parliamentary special committee was scheduled to visit the area on Tuesday, but that was called off due to security concerns.

Two people sustained serious injuries in a free-for-all-fight between desperate residents of Adjei Kojo in Tema and armed police and military personnel, Tuesday.

The military fired warning shots to disperse angry residents fighting to protect debris of their flattened houses left in the wake of a demolition exercise three weeks ago, from being cleared.

The Speaker of Parliament set up the special committee consisting of members from the Works and Housing, as well as Constitutional and Legal Affairs committees after a petition by Tema West MP, Irene Naa Toshie Addo.

It has one month to probe the propriety or otherwise of the demolishing of about 150 houses by the Tema Development Corporation, and report to the house. Members were to visit the area on Tuesday, but aborted plans.

According to Irene Naa Torshie Addo, the visit could not come on because the National Security Secretariat had warned MPs the place was not safe for them to visit.

This has angered the residents.
Chairman of the Sraha East Landlords Association Francis Dzivenu is asking the MP to soon arraign a fresh visit soon, or face their wrath.

He told Joy News’ Joseph Opoku Gakpo: “within the next 24 hours to 48 hours, if parliamentary committee does not come to us on the field, then we are coming there. If they feel here is not safe, we are ready to come to them in Parliament House and Flagstaff House. They can wait for us. If we don’t hear from them in the next 48 hours, we will be there.”

On Tuesday,  Adjei Kojo was the scene of a lot of action. A national security operation to clear the area of debris created by the demolition turned violent.

Three persons were injured, two others were arrested, and warning shots were fired by security personnel to disperse angry crowds.

After calls on the president and threats to go to court failed in bringing them relief, the residents remain hopeful the parliamentary committee’s work would bring them justice.

Leave a comment. 0 comment so far.