Arsonist breaks down in tears

The 33-year-old woman who set her husband, Peter Amos Asobayire, 35, his new wife and their daughter ablaze, leading to their death at Tantra Hill in Accra, broke down in tears Monday after the Adjabeng District Court had remanded her in prison custody to reappear on March 3.

During the brief hearing of her case, Efua Badu stood still in the dock but broke into tears when she was taken outside the court handcuffed and encountered relatives of her deceased husband.

Thereafter, while being taken away by a security officer, Badu made several attempts to cover her face with her hands.

At midnight on Monday, January 27, 2014, Badu set her husband’s house ablaze, resulting in his death and that of two others —  his wife, Felicity Asobayire, 25, and their two-and-a-half-year-old daughter, Sarah Asobayire — all burnt beyond recognition.

Badu, popularly known as Saman Kwenim, allegedly set fire to a can of kerosene and threw it through the window of the uncompleted abode of the family at Dome CFC about 2 a.m. on that fateful Monday.

Two other occupants of the building — Tanko Asobayire, 28, and Michael Amanguri, 25 — however, escaped unhurt, as they were said to be sleeping in another room in the building. Family show no sympathy

Badu’s regretful mood at yesterday’s sitting seemed not to have won her any sympathy from the many relatives of her deceased husband.

They had earlier walked out of the court when the judge, Mr Isaac Addo, stated that the court had to remand the accused person, as it was “awaiting advice from the Attorney General”.

The plea of the accused person, charged with murder, was not taken. Family members unhappy

After the proceedings, some family members of the deceased husband said they had travelled from as far as Navrongo and other parts of the Northern Region to attend the court proceedings.

An elder brother of the deceased, George Asobayire, who said he had travelled from Enchi in the Western Region, said the relatives were unhappy because of the adjournment. Background

The facts of the case, as presented by the prosecutor, Assistant Commissioner of Police Moses Atibilla, at an earlier sitting, were that Badu, a trader, was Peter Asobayire’s wife, with whom she had two children.

He stated that Peter, before his death, stayed at Tantra Hill, while Badu stayed at Flower Pot along the Spintex Road.

According to him, since the accused person refused to stay with her husband at Tantra Hill, there was always misunderstanding between them.

“All efforts by the husband to move the accused person to his two-bedroom house at Tantra Hill failed, compelling him to go in for a second wife, Felicity Asobayire, with whom he had a two-and-a-half-year-old child, Sarah,”’ ACP Atibilla stated.

He said Peter brought his new wife and his daughter from Navrongo to his house at Tantra Hill and broke the news to the accused person.

“Badu, annoyed at that piece of news, moved from Spintex Road to Tantra Hill at midnight to set fire to the two-bedroom house that burnt her husband, his new wife and their child to death,” he said.

Leave a comment. 0 comment so far.