THE ASHANTI Regional Security Council (REGSEC) has beefed up security at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH) to ensure that all health personnel of the facility work in safety. It deems it appropriate to ensure the safety of doctors and nurses in order to save lives hence the collaboration with the management of KATH to strengthened security measures there.
The position of REGSEC follows last Thursday invasion and attack on some staff of the Obstetrics and Gyanaecology directorates of KATH by a group of people which led to the withdrawal of services of doctors and nurses.
The Ashanti Regional Minister, Mr. Eric Opoku who heads REGSEC said at the joint REGSEC/KATH press conference yesterday that the Council had taken necessary measures to deal with the situation at KATH, which culminated into a mob attack on some personnel last Thursday.
He assured that the situation was under control and that effective Saturday evening the security at the facility had been tightened and appealed to striking personnel to return to work. “The place is safe, environment is serene and security intact,” he assured frightened the doctors and nurses.
Mr. Opoku condemned the attack and charged all the security agents constituting the state security machinery to investigate the disappearance of the body of the alleged dead baby. He said investigations must continue to expose all those involved face the full rigours of the law.
The Minister, However, warned that security agencies would not tolerate any such behavior from members of the public which tend to disrupt the peace and social stressing that “anybody who breaks the law would face the law”.
The REGSEC chairman appealed to members of the public to be law abiding because REGSEC would be very much alive to its mandate to provide maximum security and protect lives and properties in the region.
Hon. Opoku also urged the media to be circumspect in its reportage about sensitive issues which have the tendencies of affecting lives. Prof. Ohene Adjei, the Chief Executive Officer of KATH has on behalf
of the management condemned the brute and unjustified attack on innocent staff members of the hospital to seek justice.
He stated that there is no theft of baby or babies at the hospital and that the baby under reference was still born whose mother endorsed in the Still Birth Record book of the Labour Ward.
The unfortunate thing was that it was wrong for the Orderly to have taken any corpse away, for which wrong he was handed over to the police for further investigations against his claim that the baby was burnt when indeed the hospital’s incinerator had been used five days previously.
The KATH Administrator pledged its commitment to prioritize the security of all staff members of the hospital to forestall recurrence of the unfortunate incident and pleaded with doctors and nurses and
all those who fled their duty post in the course of the attack to return to work.
Pix: Hon Eric Opoku-REGSEC chairman
Leave a comment. 0 comment so far.