Doctors and nurses of the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH) have withdrawn their services, following attacks on some of their colleagues at the Obstetrics and Gynaecology Department of the hospital last Thursday.
Confirming this to Kwami Sefa Kayi on ‘Kokrokoo’, Mr. Kwame Frimpong, Public Relations Officer (PRO) of the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH) said even though the doctors and the nurses have withdrawn their services, those on admission are being taken care of.
According to him, there will be no new admissions at the hospital until the doctors and nurses are convinced of a tight security and an assurance that their lives are no longer in danger.
Irate relatives of Madam Sawaiba Abdul Mumin; the pregnant woman who lost a baby at birth at KATH stormed the hospital and assaulted the doctors and nurses; citing baby theft.
According to the nurses and doctors, the body of the baby, was supposed to have been sent to the mortuary by the mortuary attendant, but was rather picked up by a cleaner who had gone to tidy up the ward on the day Madam Mumin gave birth.
The Chief Executive Officer of KATH, Professor Ohene Adjei said the baby had been stillborn and the mother had duly attested to that fact by thumb-printing against the entries on the incident in the Still Birth Record book of the Labour Ward and also in her own patient’s folder.
The family members who refuse to accept such explanation insists the body should be found and given to them.
Meanwhile, Ashanti Regional Minister, Mr Eric Opoku, who is also the head of the Regional Security Council (REGSEC), has assured the doctors and the nurses that adequate security measures had been put in place for them to work without any fear.