Plans underway to link Tema Port to Motorway

The  Ghana Ports and Harbours Authority (GPHA) has awarded  a US$400,000 consulting service contract  to Messrs  Louis  Berger SAS, a French company,  to study  and design an alternate four-lane  dual carriageways to link the Tema Port  to the motorway.

The consulting services, which are scheduled to begin in February, 2014, with a report expected to be submitted  in July, 2014,  will be done in association with Transtech  Consult  Ghana Limited.   

It is expected that  dedicated  and highly  efficient  roads and railways  would  be developed  under the  programme  to facilitate  the movement of cargo   and people  through  the Tema Port  cluster.

Briefing the media on the  project, the acting Director General of the Ghana Ports and Harbours Authority (GPHA),  Captain James Owusu Koranteng,  observed that  access to the port had become  very critical to its  efficient operation.   

He said the only two access  roads  to the Tema Port  through  the motorway  and the Tema General  Hospital had become  too inadequate  to cope with the traffic  volumes,  hence the need for the  expansion projects  on the road network.

Captain Koranteng  noted that the  Louis Berger SAS,  in joint consortium with  Transtech Consult Ghana,  would design an alternate four dual carriageways to link the  Tema Port and the motorway.

He said  it was the objective of the authority to have the project undertaken with the  total expansion of the  Tema Port  for easy and efficient connectivity.

He said the project, which would include rail network, would have flyovers  over the rail crossing at Sakumono and an interchange at the meeting point of the road linking Nungua and Ashaiman  on the motorway.

 
Bids on expansion 
According to  Captain Koranteng, the  GPHA received  seven valid bids on Monday, January 27,  2014  for the  proposed expansion  of  Tema Port.

He recounted that the  GPHA International  Competitive  Tender  began in  March 2013 with calls for  Expression of Interest (EoI),  to which 53  internationally  recognised bodies and joint venture organisations  expressed interest to tender  for the expansion works.

Captain Koranteng  disclosed that after the evaluation of the Expression of Interest, the  GPHA  prequalified  21 bidders,  including two Ghanaian companies  to proceed to the next stage.  

He said  when  bidding  opened on Monday, only seven out of the number  were received,  with bid values  from US$489 million  to over  US$2 billion,  depending on  the phasing  arrangement selected by the bidder.

 
Phases of expansion
Captain Koranteng explained that  the project had five phases, with the phase one requiring the provision of  main basic  port infrastructure, including the development of five new berths for containers, a multi-purpose  berth dedicated  to passenger and cruise  vessels.

He said phases  two, three and  four  would  add up more  container terminals  and food/fruit  terminals  to the cluster,  while phase  five  would target  the oil rig  market along the   West African coast.

 Captain Koranteng disclosed that the first phase was expected to be completed in a period of  two-and-a-half years.  

Comments:
Leave a comment. 2 comments so far.

Comments