British Woman Dislocates Jaw Eating Burger

s-NICOLA-PEATE-large

Talk about biting off more than you can chew.

Nicola Peate, 25, suffered a dislocated jaw while attempting to eat a triple-patty burger at a Liverpool, U.K., restaurant. According to the Guardian, she tried to laugh it off at first, but sought medical attention after the pain persisted.

“I tried to eat it with a knife and fork and couldn’t. I couldn’t open my mouth fully,” Peate said in a U.K. Press Association release. “It felt like I had cramp in my tongue, then I started to get an ear ache and a headache. The next morning I woke up and felt really, really ill. The whole side of my head was hurting.”

The culprit was a so-called ”Kids in America” burger from the restaurant Almost Famous in Liverpool. The burger, apparently, was just too big for her mouth.

Peate has Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, a medical condition whereby her joints are hyper-flexible, unstable, and prone to dislocation, according to a Press Association release. She had her jaw put back into place by medics at Royal Liverpool university hospital.

But her ordeal was just beginning. According to Peate’s twitter feed, she shared her story because she was pleased with the hospital’s treatment of her injury. A press release written by a friend who does public relations for the hospital quickly went viral.

Comments