Spontaneous Jubilation At NPP Headquarters As Supreme Court Ruled On Sir John, Adorye

There was spontaneous jubilation and praises to God yesterday at the headquarters of the New Patriotic Party (NPP), after the Supreme Court gave its ruling on the contempt charges against the party’s general secretary, Mr Kwadwo Owusu-Afriyie, and a member of the communication team, Mr Hopeson Adorye.

The excitement and the speed with which supporters of the party, largely made up of women, rushed from their seats and threw themselves on the floor, could be likened to the Biblical delight demonstrated by the Israelites after they witnessed the 600 chariots of the Egyptians consumed by the Red sea.

Whereas some of the supporters hailed the lawyer of the two, Mr Ayikoi Otoo, others described the whole judgment as a blessing and an act of mercy from God.

The Supreme Court on August 9, 2013, summoned Mr Owusu-Afriyie and a member of the communications team of the party, Mr Adorye, to appear before it on August 14, 2013, to answer contempt charges.

Yesterday, the court imposed a fine of GH¢ 5,000 on Mr Owusu-Afriyie and GH¢ 2,000 on Mr Adorye.

Prior to the ruling, the women’s wing of the party had converged on the party headquarters to pray and show solidarity with their leaders.

Although some of them had earlier exhibited worry at the tone of the presiding judge of the nine-member panel, Mr Justice William Atuguba, the final ruling removed all their pain as they collectively sang praise to God for saving their leaders.

After the ruling was given, the leadership of the women’s wing led the members in a two-hour prayer and thanksgiving to God. While some of them were busy in a worship mood, others, as if they had not noticed what was happening, took to the streets, shouting “We’ve won”.

Within a few minutes, a large number of supporters who were not present when the ruling was given trooped to the premises of the headquarters and joined in the celebration.

Speaking to the Daily Graphic, the NPP Deputy National Women’s Organiser, Mrs Tina Mensah, said the ruling by the judges was what they were hoping to hear.