Mr Alexander Mawusi Buadi, Volta Regional Chairman of the Ghana National Association of Teachers (GNAT), on Friday said teachers in the Kete Krachi area might not report for duty when schools re-open for the 2013/2014 academic year.
He explained that the teachers might take that decision because they considered the area as unsafe for them.
Mr Buadi gave the hint at a media encounter at Ho on the alleged murder of Mr Manasseh Marshall Mensah, Head teacher of Hunorkope D/A Primary School, in July this year.
The GNAT Volta Regional Chairman also claimed that three teachers had been murdered in the area since 1996.
“We of the GNAT are calling on the Government, particularly the Volta Regional Administration, to act fast to rescue the situation, which is bound to have a drastic effect on education delivery in the long run. From indications the area is not safe and conducive to healthy productive work,” he said.
Mr Buadi alleged that some individuals or groups of people were targeting teachers posted to the area, adding that some people in the area had become “law unto themselves”.
He said that Mr Mensah, who was missing early July this year, was found dead along the banks of River Oti at Hunorkope on Wednesday July 10.
Mr Samuel N.K. Akumeah, Kete Krachi Divisional Police Commander, confirmed the alleged murder of Mr Mensah to the GNA, but explained that three people, who were arrested in connection with the death, were on bail because post mortem results did not suggest “murder directly”.