CAPE TOWN (AFP) – South Africa’s death toll in last month’s rebel coup in the Central African Republic has risen to 14 after the death of a wounded soldier, the army said Tuesday.
“One of the South African National Defence Force members who was injured in Central African Republic, during what has become to be known as the battle of Bangui, has since passed on,” said spokesman Brigadier General Xolani Mabanga.
Thirteen South African troops died and 27 were wounded when they came under fire from thousands of rebel fighters moving on the capital which fell on March 24.
It was the country’s heaviest military loss since the end of apartheid in 1994.
The soldier who died was discharged on April 19 from a Pretoria military hospital, where the injured troops were treated after being evacuated from Bangui.
He was due for a check-up on Friday, but collapsed on Monday and was rushed to hospital where he died, said Mabanga.
South Africa’s government has faced an outcry over why soldiers were sent to Central Africa, amid accusations of dodgy deals and ruling party business interests in the troubled nation.
Any wrongdoing has been strongly denied.