First Lady refutes allegation of ill-health

BY  BEN AGANDE

ABUJA — The First Lady, Dame Patience Jonathan, Tuesday, said the decision not to join President Goodluck Jonathan to his forthcoming official visits to South Africa and Namibia had nothing to do with her health.

Reacting to an online publication that the First Lady was being dropped from the trip because of deterioration in her health, Special Assistant to the First Lady on Media, Ayo Osinlu, said:  “ The report is absolutely untrue and a creation of the wicked expectations of the writers.

“The First Lady is not an official of the Federal Government of Nigeria, and is, therefore, not under obligation to join every foreign trip made by her husband, as his statutory duty to foster both bi-lateral and multilateral advantages for the country.

”The First Family is, therefore, at liberty to determine what trips they make together. Meanwhile, the mischief behind this online medium’s sudden worry that the First Lady is not on the President’s trip abroad is betrayed by the fact that the same medium led its allied choristers to belly-ache in the past about the frequency of her presence by her husband’s side on official engagements outside the country.”

Buttressing his assertion that the First Lady was not in any way in bad state of health, Osinlu said she had been involved in series of activities that underscored the fact that she was in good health.

Comments are moderated. Please keep them clean and brief.

Comments