Location: Greater Accra Region
TechnoServe is an international, non-profit economic development organization founded in 1968 out of a conviction that a vibrant private sector is an essential foundation for economic growth and poverty reduction. TechnoServe undertakes targeted, catalytic technical assistance and other programming to increase the competitiveness of entrepreneurs, businesses and industries that in-turn provide sustainable employment, inclusion of the poor and increased incomes. TechnoServe operates in 25 developing countries with over 1000 employees. A substantial portion of our work is in agriculture, enhancing farm productivity and commodity quality and addressing gaps in processing and other agribusiness capacities. Our programs increase smallholder access to new technologies, aggregation and storage mechanisms, markets, critical information and finance. TechnoServe also undertakes structured programs to identify and support high potential entrepreneurs in various sectors through leadership mentoring networks, formalization support, access to capital and development of sustainable business services such as accounting, finance, marketing and human resource management.
Job Title: Country Director, Ghana
Job Location: Accra, Greater Accra Region
Reports to: Deputy Regional Director, West & Southern Africa
Travel: 30% travel domestically and internationally
The birthplace of TechnoServe, Ghana, is at a crossroads in agricultural development. The agricultural sector has stagnated, despite strong economic growth of 4-9% of GDP per annum from 2006-2010. As the nation approaches middle income status, traditional food security funding is decreasing. Meanwhile, the importance of private donors and partners in transforming this low-productivity, subsistence-based sector into an organized system of inclusive, integrated value chains is on the rise. With the Ghana Commercial Agricultural Project (GCAP) and other major development funding channels opening up, the country is soon to see opportunities of a type and scale never before witnessed in Ghana. TechnoServe is uniquely positioned to influence this new movement in agricultural development, specifically by championing inclusive Public-Private Partnerships (PPPs) aimed at increasing smallholder farmer productivity, competitiveness and integration into formal markets.
To carry its strong, 45-year reputation as an industry leader agriculture into this new era, TechnoServe must develop new strategies to capture increasingly competitive institutional funding, while continuing to pioneer innovative models for private sector engagement. The Ghana Country Director will lead this charge by managing TechnoServe’s Ghana strategy, fundraising and implementation.
TechnoServe seeks an innovative, entrepreneurial leader who can lead TechnoServe Ghana to the next frontier in agricultural development.
Lead all aspects of TechnoServe’s operations in Ghana to achieve sustainable economic development in a cost-effective manner.
Impact: Strategically select areas of work, partnerships and methodologies that most effectively contribute to poverty reduction, and assure excellence of implementation through total quality management and evidence-based decision-making
Leadership: Develop, inspire and enable a team of Ghanaian and international professionals to deliver high quality results, and effectively manage human resources, finance and back office functions to optimize cost-effectiveness
Fundraising: Secure funding to sustain and grow TechnoServe’s contribution to the economic development of Ghana
Duties and Responsibilities
- Regularly develop and adapt the country strategic vision and direction and execute it in keeping with TechnoServe’s overall strategic plan
- Establish and foster relationships with a broad network of donors, practitioners, government representatives and business leaders in the Ghanaian economic development field, assimilating and contributing to new developments in the sector
- Recruit, orient and provide for the professional development of highly effective staff in all functions
- Motivate, inspire and enable a team of Ghanaian and international professionals to deliver high quality results
- Identify and pursue innovative solutions to poverty reduction
- Identify opportunities where TechnoServe can play a role in catalyzing more competitive, inclusive industries and entrepreneurship
- Undertake industry assessments, market research and other analytical exercises that generate insight into opportunities for TechnoServe to achieve its mission
- Secure funding for the country program by developing concepts, leading sound project design and writing winning proposals
- Cultivate and maintain TechnoServe in-country partner and donor relationships with USAID and other US government agencies; local government, bilateral and multilateral development/donor organizations; foundations and relevant local NGOs; private sector associations and corporations
- Oversee the design, planning and high quality, timely execution of TNS programs in the field
- Plan for and execute robust monitoring and evaluation of program outputs and outcomes
- Ensure cost-effective delivery of donor and client commitments
- Contribute to the documentation and sharing of knowledge within the broader TechnoServe community
- Ensure high quality and timely donor reporting
- Oversee all TechnoServe Ghana financial affairs, including budgets, adherence to effective internal financial controls and review of monthly financial reporting
- Act as legal representative of TechnoServe in Ghana, conducting all affairs with the government, the media and partners in keeping with TNS policies and procedures
- Maintain good governance practices for all TechnoServe related entities in Ghana in accordance with Ghanaian law
- Participate in and comply with all TNS corporate processes such as the annual planning process, attendance at the annual CD meeting, preparation of program status and pipeline reports and oversee the correct and complete updating of the corporate measurement system
Qualification and Requirements
- Advanced degree in business, economics, agriculture or related field with 10-15 years of solid professional experience with progressively higher levels of responsibility
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience leading a business unit or large-scale project with responsibility for all aspects of operations
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience working in a developing country, preferably in East, West or Southern Africa
- Private sector experience in management consulting, agri-business and/or food processing, financial services or equivalent with strong entrepreneurial skills preferred
- Good working knowledge of economic development, agricultural value chains and entrepreneurship promotion
- Demonstrated ability to form, motivate and lead a diverse team to achieve results
- Proven capacity to fundraise effectively and represent the organization among a diverse range of stakeholders
- Clear evidence of operations management and administration skills
- Strong diplomatic skills to support effective work with government, implementing partners and donors
- Strong analytical as well as oral and written communications skills a must
- Fluent reading, writing, speaking and computer literacy skills in English
TECHNOSERVE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
If you are qualified for this position, Send your CV to [email protected] or click http://www.jobberman.com.gh/job/6852/country-director-ghana-at-technoserve/ to apply