Location: Greater Accra Region
Job Title: Technical Specialist (National)
Job Location: Accra, Greater Accra Region
The National Disaster Management Organization (NADMO) of Ghana, in partnership with UNDP and funding support from the Government of Norway, has initiated a new project “Community Resilience through Early Warning (CREW)” to build capacities in Ghana to reduce’ disaster risk by putting in place an integrated early warning system that is both scientific and people-centred. Applications are now invited from experience professionals for the above position within NADMO and UNDP.
The Technical Specialist (National) will provide technical services in areas related to early warning system, disaster risk reduction, GIS and mapping, community-based capacity building, and climate change adaptation. She/he will be part of the UNDP-based quality assurance team and report to the Cluster Manager of the Sustainable Development Cluster of UNDP. In order to successfully deliver his/her work, she/he needs to work closely with and mobilize inputs from the project management unit staff, project officer, international technical specialists, and M&E expert.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Technical services in areas related to early warning system, disaster risk reduction, GIS and mapping, community-based capacity building, climate change adaptation
- Building strategic partnerships, networking and substantive technical innovation
Qualification and Requirements
- Communicating information and ideas.
- Ethics and values.
- Organizational awareness, Self-management and emotional intelligence.
- Working in teams.
- Building strategic partnerships: Job knowledge and technical expertise.
- Conceptual innovation in the provision of technical expertise.
- Creating visibility for UNDP/supporting UNDP’s capacity to advocate.
- Promoting accountability and results-based management.
Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree in a relevant field.
- At least five-years of experience in development sector.
- Research experience is an asset, Excellent writing skills in English, advanced technical skills in disaster risk reduction and experience in community-level development work preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Outlook, etc)
Qualified candidates are requested to send their applications marked with the title of position being applied for, with supporting resume including telephone numbers and email addresses to the address below:
The Human Resource Unit
(Next to the Ghana National Fires Service Hqtrs)
Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. Detailed Job descriptions are available on request at the UNDP Security Gate or online at: www.undp-gha.org