Location: Greater Accra Region
Job Title: TVET Specialist
Job Location: Accra, Greater Accra Region
SPECIFIC PROCUREMENT NOTICE
GOVERNMENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF GHANA
MINISTRY OF EDUCATION
Council for Technical and Vocational Education and Training (COTVET)
GHANA SKILLS AND TECHNOLOGY DEVELOPMENT PROJECT (GSTDP)
PROJECT ID: P118112 CREDIT NO: 4875-GH
This Specific Procurement Notice follows the General Procurement Notice for this project which appeared in the Development Business on 24th August 2011.
The Government of Ghana has received financing from the World Bank towards the cost of the Ghana Skills and Technology Development Project (GSTDP) in the amount of US$70m and intends to apply part of the proceed of this facility to eligible payments under the contract for the engagement of a suitably qualified individual for the post of a TVET Specialist to be based at the Project Support Unit of the Council for Technical and Vocational Education and Training (COTVET) in Accra.
Main purpose of the assignment of the TVET Specialist:
The main objective of the assignment of the TVET Specialist is to support the efficient and effective implementation of Component One (1) of the project. He/She shall work closely with the COTVET staff working on Component 1 and report directly to the Project Coordinator.
Duties and responsibilities of the TVET Specialist:
The key responsibilities of the TVET Specialist are to:
- Participate in the overall planning, implementation and monitoring of project activities with other technical specialists on the project;
- Provide inputs on skills development to other project components, when relevant;
- Coordinate with other MDAs on TVET and skills development matters;
- Provide technical assistance to the project on issues related to skills development and TVET;
- Serve as a key PSU point person for the implementation of Component 1, being in charge of working with all the consultants and agencies working on this, collating their reports, evaluating, informing the coordinator and the PSC as well as the Bank on the implementation and the results
- Assist in harmonizing the activities of the international agencies who provide various forms of Technical Assistance (TA) to TVET system building, including AfDB, GIZ, KFW, Danida etc. The Consultant will work with the PSU Coordinator to assure that there is no overlap but complementarity, full information flow and optimal level of relevance, efficiency in the TA
- Work as a liaision with COTVET on the synergy between evaluations, feedback and recommendations of any adjustments to the programs
- Work to assure synergy between Component 1 and the rest of the GSTDP, especially with the SDF assuring that the various SDF proposals are in line with the TVET standards and expectations and at the TVET strategy is also informed by the SDF
- Undertake any other responsibilities as assigned by the Project Coordinator
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Within the framework of his/her overall responsiblities, the TVET specialist will be responsible specifically for the following::
- Provide technical support and guidance to the existing Industry Sub-Committees, mentoring COTVET Staff in their role and develop the implementation process for additional Sub-Committees including consultations with training providers, employer organizations, worker organizations and relevant government ministries;
- Assist in guiding the implementation of quality standards for the registration and accreditation of vocational training providers;
- Within the overall context of the project contribute towards building the capacity of counterpart staff from COTVET and other relevant stakeholders;
- Coordinate the implementation of Component 1 of the GSTDP including provision of support to consultants, managing all the seminars, workshops and technical meetings under it.
- Compile and submit reports or contribute to the periodic project records, as required;
- Assist in providing technical support and quality assurance of a range of competency-based vocational training curricula and training methodologies aligned to existing national framework and systems, and to current labour market conditions in each of the states;
- High level operational support and supervision logistics and timetabling, quality assurance of training delivery, human resource management and risk management;
- Support the development of quantitative and qualitative data collections tools (baseline skills surveys, training feedback forms, skills assessment, internal and external effectiveness such as drop-out rates, success rates and placement) to inform the monitoring and evaluation of the project.
- Support the formal, non-formal and informal, pre-tertiary, tertiary private and public TVET providers in Ghana to gather all the necessary pieces of information that will support effective and efficient implementation of the component.
- Support the training of the relevant COTVET staff and public and private TVET providers (Formal, Informal, Non-formal)
- Undertake other duties for the effective and timely achievement of project objectivies, as assigned by the Project Coordinator
Duration of Consultancy:
The duration of the consultancy is two (2) years within a 6-month probation and a possibility of renewal based on satisfactory performance.
The Consultant will work closely with the COTVET mainstream staff but report directly to the Project Coordinator.
Qualification and Requirements
- Minimum of an advanced university degree in a relevant field (education, economics, social science, engineering, TVET);
- At least 5 years international experience, providing technical support for TVET in developing country contexts including curricula design, teacher training and TVET institution management;
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in management, ability to work with several agencies at the same time, good communication skills and ability to compile reports fast and effectively
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse groups of stakeholders and to develop consensus and partnerships;
- Flexibility and adaptability to adjust to contextual challenges and needs accordingly;
- Proven experience in ICT applications including Microsoft Office tools;
- And excellent knowledge of the Ghanaian TVET sector is an advantage
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, an analytical approach and ability to clearly articulate difficult concepts to diverse audiences;
- Fluency in English (verbal and writing);
The Council for Technical and Vocational Education and Training (COTVET) now invites interested and qualified individuals to submit typewritten application letters and curriculum vitae indicating that they are qualitied to perform the services for the positions as described above. These should include:
- Description of similar assignments
- Experience in similar conditions
- Availability of appropriate of approriate skills
- Only short listed individuals will be contacted.
Written expressions of interest must be delivered by 4.00pm on 24th April, 2013 at the address below:
The Project Coordinator
Project Support Unit
Council for Technical and Vocational Education and Training
P. O. Box M651
Attn: Procurement Specialist
Location: No 2, 2nd Nii Kokonya Road East Legon, Near America House, Accra
Telephone: 0209-990173; 0209-977890