Man Dies In Court Room 3-Days After Killing His Wife

A 60 year old farmer in Agona Nyarkrom in the Central Region, Mr. Kofi Takyi who was to be tried at the Magistrate Court in Agona Swedru died at the court room on Monday, April 15, 2013.

While the necessary legal procedures were being prepared by the investigator for him to be tried the next day, the accused Mr. Kofi Takyi who was asked to sit on the bench at the court in some few minutes slept on the bench. Just as the investigator had finished with his legal proceedings, he tapped the accused to wake him up but he did not respond.

He then realized that the accused Mr. Kofi Takyi had become weak and quickly, he was rushed to the Swedru Hospital but upon arrival he had already given up the ghost.

The accused, Mr. Kofi Takyi, is alleged to have killed his 57 year old wife on Thursday, April 11, 2013 at the farm when he the accused had asked the wife to accompany him to the cocoa farm to harvest cocoa of which the wife obliged.

According to the Nyarkrom District Police Commander, Superintendent Joseph N. K. Ackah, the accused took the lead to the farm while the wife Akomma, followed later. When the woman reached the farm, she began to carry some of the already harvested cocoa to a designated location at the farm.

Supt. Ackah said, when the woman got closer to the husband to carry some of the harvested cocoa, the accused began to inflict the wife with the machete in his hand on her head, back and feet.

He said the woman became unconscious and the accused took her to be dead. He then dragged the wife into the bush but after some time the woman regained consciousness, and decided to run for cover. He said, she got to the roadside where a passer-by assisted her to the Nyarkrom Hospital but due to the critical nature of her condition, she was referred to the Agona Swedru Municipal Hospital where she later died.

While the body of the victim was place at the morgue to carry out an autopsy, the accused took to his heels. According to Supt. Ackah, the police mounted a search for the accused and arrested him on Friday, April 12, 2013, and was arranged for the court on Monday when he died before the time for his trial on Tuesday, April 16, 2013 because, the judge who was to sit on the case was on leave.

This occurrence necessitated that the investigator to processes the necessary documents that would yield the trial of the accused the next day by the visiting judge of which the demise of the accused occurred before his trial date.