60-year-old farmer arrested for killing wife

The 60 year old farmer who allegedly murdered his wife last Thursday at Agona Nyakrom in the Central region is in the grip of the Police.

The suspect, Kofi Takyi, alias Kofi Bock went into hiding after allegedly inflicting multiple machete wounds on the wife, Ama Akomaa, 57 leading to her death.

According to the Agona Nyakrom District Police Commander, Superintendent Joseph N.K. Ackah, Kofi was arrested on Friday evening by some civilians who had mounted a search for him.

He was spotted on the Nyakrom to Kwaman road holding a bag containing a rope which the Police suspect he had wanted to use to commit suicide.

When the suspect was arrested some angry youth besieged the place to have him lynched but the timely intervention of the Police calmed the youth.

The suspect has been placed in custody and would be arraigned before court on Monday.

The couple had been married for 15 years.
Although no reason had been adduced, the police said there had been a strained relationship between them after the deceased threatened to divorce him.

Before the incident, the couple was living in the family house of the deceased at Odumase, a suburb of Agona Nyakrom.

The police said the deceased obliged an invitation by the husband to harvest cocoa on Thursday April 11, 2013.

Takyi, however, went ahead of her wife to the farm.

When the deceased got to the farm; she carried some of the harvested cocoa to a designated place on the farm.

Upon her return to the site where Takyi was harvesting the cocoa, the suspect allegedly began to inflict machete wounds on the wife’s head, back and the feet.

According to the police, the deceased became unconscious and taking her for dead, the suspect allegedly dragged the wife into the bush.

However, the deceased regained consciousness in the bush and decided to run for cover and eventually managed to get to the roadside and was rescued by some passers-by, who quickly rushed her to the Nyakrom Health Centre.

However due to the critical nature of her condition, she was referred to the Swedru Government Hospital where she later died.