Imo police nabs 3 child traffickers

BY CHIDI NKWOPARA, Owerri

Imo State Police Command has arrested three persons, including two middle aged women and a 41-year old driver, Jacob Ademuyiwa, for  alleged child trafficking.

Parading the suspects in Owerri Friday, the Police Public Relations Officer, PPRO, Mrs. Joy Elemoko, said the twin babies were abducted or stolen barely 72 hours after delivery.

The PPRO gave the names of the suspects as 55-year old Mrs. Patience Aibangbe, Mrs. Felicia Edegbe (59) from Ihude Egonebo village, Edo State and Jacob Ademuyiwa (41) from Ado Ekiti, Ekiti State.

According to the PPRO, the two female suspects took off from their 14 Densan Street, Ikorodu, Lagos, Wednesday, March 27, 2013, for Port Harcourt, Rivers State, with a view to steal or abduct the two babies. Elemoko said the suspects were arrested within the Command’s area of jurisdiction while they were on their way back to Lagos, adding that the driver obviously knew that the consignment he was conveying was illegal.

“The offence is conspiratorial in nature. Anybody found within the cycle of conspiracy is definitely an accomplice and would be made to face the full weight of the laws”, the PPRO said.

While saying that the suspects are not indigenes of Imo State, the PPRO equally confirmed that the original scene of crime was at Uzoma village, Oyibo local government area of Rivers State.

Narrating her involvement to newsmen, Aibangbe claimed that she lives in Lagos with her husband and has been having serious challenges with bearing children for a long while.

According to the suspect, she was introduced to a Port Harcourt based woman simply identified as Mrs. Okoro, who promised to solve her nagging problem.

“She gave me some herbs in June last year. About one month after, she told me that I was pregnant and carrying twin babies. She also asked me not go for scan. In January this year, the woman came to Lagos and told me that I will deliver in March and will only be in Port Harcourt”, the suspect recounted.

Continuing, the prime suspect said she was given a date but she decided to travel to Port Harcourt on March 27, 2013, pointing out that her total expenditure stood at N1.8 million.

Meanwhile, the police has warned members of the public to distance themselves from “the shameful and damnable act of stealing, abducting and selling of innocent children, adding that anybody found to be indulging in the act would be made to face the music.

Comments are moderated. Please keep them clean and brief.

Comments