Location: Greater Accra Region
Global Communities (formerly CHF International), an international non-profit organization with offices in 23 countries, works with a wide range of organizations to develop systems, policies and practices that increase access to economic opportunities, affordable housing and community services for low income communities.
Job Title: WASH-UP Project Director, Ghana
Job Location: Accra, Greater Accra Region
Our mission as Global Communities (formerly CHF International) is to be a catalyst for long-lasting positive change in low and moderate income communities around the world, helping them to improve their social, economic and environmental conditions.
Global Communities-Ghana is seeking a Project Director for a USAID urban water/sanitation project in Ghana. The objective of the program will be to increase equitable access to improved water supply and basic sanitation for poor urban communities in Ghana by promoting cooperative efforts between civil society organizations, local service providers, and government. Additionally, program activities will contribute to decreasing the prevalence of water-related diseases among the urban poor and improving local governance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Project Director will provide overall leadership and direction to all project staff, working under the supervision of Global Communities – Ghana Country Director. The Project Director will be responsible for the development and implementation of programs to support equitable access to water supply and basic sanitation for the urban poor in Ghana. Activities will include working with service providers and building creative participatory relationships with civil society groups that can mobilize slum residents, progressive municipal governments, and private sector partners including micro-credit providers. In specific terms, the Project Director will be:
- Responsible for the overall leadership, management and reporting on Global Communities’ and USAID’s WASH partnership;
- Serve as the lead technical expert on Global Communities’ partnership activities on water and sanitation infrastructure development, including design, technical specifications, construction or rehabilitation, testing, operation and maintenance;
- Responsible for planning and implementing the different components (improved access to safe water, safe sanitation, community governance, hygiene and water and sanitation business businesses) of the project;
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining relationships with USAID and as well as needed government, private sector and community key actors needed for smooth project implementation;
- Review documentation of consultants and contractors as required for all aspects of the project;
- Set up an M&E System, supervise and monitor field implementation of all activities.
- Work with the program team to identify key partners important to the design and implementation of the project and ensure they are involved in implementation;
- Manage partner branding needs on the project as well as assist in effective engagement with key stakeholders;
- Help build practical capacities of technical teams and project stakeholders as specified in the project document, for sustainability;
- Interface with Government institutional partners and other NGO’s in the implementation of program activities;
- Prepare and implement a safety and environmental compliance strategy for the project;
- Ensure use of consistent criteria for technology selection, design standards, and costing standards across activities, in compliance with guidelines as set by recognized state institutions;
- Schedule, attend and compile reports on and take corrective measures as well as present reports to the Country Director on construction site meetings, showing the updates on status of works;
- Prepare and submit weekly and monthly reports and plans for the partnership; and
- Document all processes and outputs as well as lessons learnt on all activities and interventions.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Technical experience in water/sanitation programming combined with innovative approaches to improving water and sanitation access among the urban poor.
- Experience working and managing development projects in complex urban environments, preferably related to municipal service delivery, urban slum upgrading, community development, and/or local economic development.
- Minimum of 7 years working experience in the WASH sector and good understanding of industry standards and trends.
- Demonstrated knowledge and capacity to: address gender based constraints; effectively oversee performance monitoring plans; undertake participatory planning methods.
- Technical managerial ability to design, implement, monitor and evaluate WASH projects in accordance with USAID policies, procedures, systems and guidelines.
- Fluency in English, both written and oral, required.
- Ability to represent Global Communities and to develop strong relationships with donors, the host government and community stakeholders.
- Master’s degree in Civil Engineering, Urban Planning, Hydrology, Environmental Sanitation, or related field preferred.
- Ghana or relevant West African experience highly preferred.
If you are qualified for this position, Send your CV to [email protected] or click http://www.jobberman.com.gh/job/6589/wash-up-project-director-ghana-at-global-communities-%e2%80%93-ghana/ to apply