By Monsur Oloowopejo
LAGOS — Displaced residents and owners of structures in Ojo-Giwa and Okoya Street, Lagos Island Council, yesterday, at the Tribunal of Enquiry, blamed Federal and state government agencies for the Boxing Day firecracker explosion of 2012, which claimed one life, injured 40, destroyed 10 houses and seven cars.
They told the tribunal sitting at City Hall, Lagos, that the best the government could do for the victims was to compensate them for the loss suffered.
It will be recalled that Fashola inaugurated the tribunal in February to ascertain the causes of the explosion and establish a legal framework for the importation, sale, and distribution of fireworks in the state.
Chairman of the tribunal, Justice Sunday Ishola (rtd) had announced last week that witnesses to the tragedy would be allowed to appear before the tribunal from yesterday and that the tribunal would sit on weekdays commencing at 10am daily.
Speaking at the hearing, Mr. Idris Hamzat, said: “The government know the number of those to whom they issued licence to import firecracker.
“Rather than be proactive in enforcing the laws by monitoring the importers, government agencies left the importers unchecked. And they imported all sorts of explosions into the state.”
Comments are moderated. Please keep them clean and brief.