MARGARET That-cher’s famous line “The lady’s not for turning” has gone down as one of the former prime minister’s most-quoted expressions.
The phrase referred to her refusal to do a U-turn on her economic policy after unemployment rocketed by 500,000 in just one year to hit 2million.
Here are at least seven of her top quips:
1) Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren’t.
2) If you want something said, ask a man; if you want something done, ask a woman.
3) I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end.
4) To wear your heart on your sleeve isn’t a very good plan; you should wear it inside, where it functions best.
5) It is not the creation of wealth that is wrong, but the love of money for its own sake.
6) To cure the British disease with socialism was like trying to cure leukaemia with leeches.
7) I’ve got a woman’s ability to stick to a job and get on with it when everyone else walks off and leaves it.
8) To me, consensus seems to be the process of abandoning all beliefs, principles, values and policies. So it is something in which no one believes and to which no one objects.
9) I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left.
10) There is no such thing as Society. There are individual men and women, and there are families.
11) If my critics saw me walking over the Thames they would say it was because I couldn’t swim.
12) Standing in the middle of the road is very dangerous; you get knocked down by the traffic from both sides.
13) We want a society where people are free to make choices, to make mistakes, to be generous and compassionate. This is what we mean by a moral society; not a society where the state is responsible for everything, and no one is responsible for the state.
14) You need quite good shock absorbers and a sense of humour to be the Prime Minister’s child.
15) “I don’t mind how much my Ministers talk, as long as they do what I say.”
Comments are moderated. Please keep them clean and brief.