The Coordinator of the National Disaster Management Organization (NADMO) has denied reports they over-spent their budget by over GH¢ 300 million in the run-up to the 2012 general elections.
Kofi Portuphy said since August 2012, government has not given NADMO any money to run its programmes and therefore finds it very intriguing that the organisation will be accused of overspending.
The New Patriotic Party has accused various government agencies of overspending and has cited NADMO as one of the culprits.
Director of Communication for the NPP, Nana Akomea disclosed on Asempa FM’s Ekosii Sen programme Monday stressed that NADMO over-spent its budget by GH¢ 350 in the 2012 election campaign.
But a livid Kofi Portuphy who called into the programme described Akomea claim as palpable false.
“We have not exceeded our budget in the last four months before the end of last year. Nana Akomea should bring prove and stop [the] lies” he said.
Mr. Portuphy disclosed that NADMO over the last one and half years owes its creditors GH¢ 186 million because “we credit to provide safety for the people”.
The NADMO Coordinator stated that the creditors are on his neck because government has failed to resource them.
He added that all their warehouses across the country are empty due to lack of money to buy relief items.
Mr. Portuphy said what Akomea is doing is vile propaganda intended to deceive the whole nation and to ridicule government.
He said NPP Members of Parliament on the Defends Committee in Parliament can attest to the fact that no money was allocated to NADMO prior to the elections.
“When disasters occur and we are taking care of Ghanaians we don’t go looking for NDC and NPP people. We take care of all the people in the community; that is our hallmark”.
Kofi Portuphy said Nana Akomea has no moral right to accuse NADMO of overspending because he [Akomea] while at the Information Ministry as Minister was allegedly involved in some corrupt deals.