Fulanis Split Man’s Jaw

A 33-year old driver, Selas Boafo was shot and killed last Thursday by suspected Fulani herdsmen at Kete Krachi in the Volta Region.

This was when a 33-seater Ford vehicle with registration number GW 5342 X, which he was driving, was accosted by the suspected criminals.

Doctors at the Krachi West district hospital who attended to the late Selas could not behold the sight when he was rushed in Thursday evening around 9:00pm in a pool of blood, with his jaw split wide open, while his tongue dangled. At the time, five persons were said to be on board the vehicle.

He was stopped by the heavily-armed men suspected to be Fulani herdsmen, who were said to be operating in the area.

They had blocked both sides of the road with logs and a vehicle, thereby preventing any vehicle from plying the road. Upon reaching the spot, the deceased was signaled to stop, which he obliged.

At the time, an Urvan bus carrying loaves of bread had also been accosted, with the driver being searched at gunpoint.

The driver of the Urvan had his head broken with the butt of the AK 47 assault rifle the suspected robbers were wielding when he was delaying in meeting their demands.

But just when the deceased driver was about to park where he had been ordered to, one of the suspected robbers opened fire at close range, splitting the jaw of the deceased.

He (the robber) apparently thought the deceased driver was trying to bolt away. There and then, the Fulani herdsmen abandoned the ‘project’ and fled the scene in a yet-to-be-identified vehicle, leaving the deceased and the other injured driver to their respective fates.

The Urvan driver, with the assistance of other occupants of the bus, immediately carried the late Selas into his vehicle and rushed him to the Krachi West District Hospital.

Doctors however were unable to save the young and innocent Selas who died after being taken to the facility.

Fruitless effort

A Medical Superintendent at the hospital, Dr Hilarius Abbiw told Daily Guide that “as sad as the incident was, even more sad for me was the fact that we do not have an intensive care unit and the gentleman chocked on his own blood.

“Under the circumstance, we needed to put him on an artificial breathing machine (ventilator) so he wouldn’t choke; yet there is none and he ended up choking on his own blood and we had lost the gentlemen even before he could be referred to Korle Bu”, he narrated.

The body of the deceased had since been deposited at the morgue of the Krachi West district hospital

Meanwhile, Daily Guide sources at Kete Krachi said the robbers had targeted the state-run Metro Mass Transport bus that usually plies the route.

On that fateful day however, the Metro Mass Transport bus was said to have gotten to Dambai late, hence missed the ferry (pontoon) that would have carted it to the other side of the Volta Lake and got to Krachi the next morning, which was Friday, thereby preventing the robbers from hitting their target.