Four injured, houses burnt in renewed clashes in Yendi

Four people have been injured in renewed chieftaincy clashes between the Andanis and Abudus at Yendi in the Northern Region on Easter Monday.

Two cars, two stores and two houses have also been set ablaze.

Yendi Divisional Police Commander, Chief Superintendent Cephas Bediako, who confirmed the clashes to Joy News, said security personnel were quickly deployed to control violence there and “the area is calm now”.

The cause of the clashes has yet to be established, he added.

However, Chief Supt. Bediako said the police were told that one Nurudeen Abdullai, an Abudu, was attacked in his house by some gun-wielding men who set his Ford Explorer and Ford Expedition ablaze.

Two stores and two houses were also burnt by some marauding men, he confirmed to Joy News.

Chief Supt. Bediako said three persons have so far been arrested for questioning.

He said the injured have been sent to Yendi Hospital.

Early on, Joy FM’s Northern region correspondent, Hashmin Mohammed said the Regent of Dagbon in March installed a new Youth Chief for Yendi, which did not go down well with the Abudus who had also been preparing to install a similar chief for Yendi but were prevented by the police.

An eyewitness told him that some members of the Abudu gate who were returning from a funeral at the outskirt of Yendi Monday morning, started firing locally made muskets when they got to the palace of the Youth Chief at Zohe.

In the course of the firing, an Andani was shot. When news of the incident got to his people, the Andani faction also threatened to face off with the Abudu faction but the timely intervention by a police cum military team prevented a possible clash in the morning.

However, when situation seemed to have returned to normalcy in the afternoon, the security personnel left the area, only for the two gates to engage each other in bloody clashes.

The security details had to be called back quickly to separate them and restore calm to the area.