Pet poisoning, both deliberate and accidental, has increased dramatically, it was reported on Friday.
Dr Gerhard Verdoorn of the Griffon Poison Information Centre in Johannesburg told The Citizen the centre was fielding about three calls a day on animal poisoning. This used to be about 30 calls over three months.
Dogs were often poisoned deliberately with the agricultural pesticide Aldicarb, but there was also misuse of home and garden pesticides that led to accidental poisoning.
“Practically all incidents are the result of pesticides and detergents left unattended, rodenticides being applied directly within reach of dogs, or dogs treated with insecticides that are not registered for animal use,” said Verdoorn.
Poisoned animals showed signs of anaemia and blood loss, including blood in the faeces, saliva or nose. – Sapa
Read the original:
Pet poisoning on the rise