6.7 C
Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Taxi Driver Brutally Murdered


Taxi Driver Brutally Murdered A taxi driver, believed to be in his early thirties, has been brutally murdered and dumped at La, a suburb of Accra.

The body of the deceased, whose name was later given as Yaw Kodee, a native of Akyem Ofoase in the Eastern Region, was found in the taxi cab with registration GR 6081–09 at a spot called Alontey Bar Bus Stop on the Accra Teshie/Nungua beach road, about 150 meters from the La Palm Royal Beach Hotel.

When DAILY GUIDE visited the scene at about 1pm yesterday, a sizeable crowd, some weeping, had gathered whilst the La police were already there making preparations to convey the body to the morgue.

The deceased, who wore a yellow vest and coffee-coloured trousers with black trainers, appeared to have been strangled, with blood in his mouth and nostrils.

His face looked swollen and there were also deep cuts on his eyebrow and the left hand. Everything in the taxi was intact except the key which was missing.

Eyewitnesses’ account disclosed that the cab, a yellow and white Kia Avella, had been stationed close to the sea since 4am with the parking lights on but they were afraid of getting closer to the vehicle.

They indicated that they finally got closer to know what was happening only to find the deceased placed in between the front and back seats of the cab.

The police was later informed about the death and when they got to the scene, they suspected that the deceased might have been a victim of armed robbers.

Just as the police were about to convey the body, a similar taxi cab arrived on the scene, with the occupants claiming that the deceased was their relative.

One of them, John Mensah who was shedding tears, said they received a phone call from a member of the crowd informing them about the death of Kodee.

He said the owner of the car works at the Abossey Okai spare parts area and had given the taxi to them to make daily sales for him.

Mensah, who is the actual driver of the cab, further said that Kodee asked for permission to use the taxi to work on Monday night, adding “once he did not return on Tuesday morning, we thought he had continued to work in the morning.” The deceased is married with a young son.

By William Yaw Owusu

Latest news
Related news