community in the Ga West Municipality of the Greater Accra region, have been reported dead.
They were said to have been contracted by a businessman and a resident of the community to dig the borehole in his private house for water consumption, since that was the only means of getting water in the area.
The deceased were identified as Isaac Mensah, 35, and Nii Addo Adokwei, 50, whilst Isaac Ametefe was rescued.
The two were said to have used dynamite in blasting a rock to enable them dig the borehole with ease when they met their untimely death.
According to an eyewitness account, after digging for sometime, they came across a huge rock which needed blasting before they could continue digging.
Ã¢â‚¬Å“They then blasted the rock with dynamite to loosen the rocks for further diggingÃ¢â‚¬Â.
The eyewitness said after blasting the rocks underground, Isaac Mensah entered the borehole first to check if the rocks could be removed.
Ã¢â‚¬Å“When he entered, there was no sign of him coming out. We called out his name but there was no response, so Nii Addo Adokwei also entered the borehole to find what was amiss, and he did not also come out.Ã¢â‚¬Â
The eyewitness said Isaac Ametefe, the third person, sensing danger but not knowing what to do next, called for help.
Ã¢â‚¬Å“A rope was then tied around IsaacÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s waist to enter into the hole to help rescue the two personsÃ¢â‚¬Â.
He said Isaac, with the help of the rope tied around his waste, managed to bring the two out unconscious.
Isaac was said to have also fallen unconscious after the rescue operation and the three were rushed to the hospital.
The two died shortly upon reaching the Nsawam Government Hospital whilst Isaac was saved.
The Amasaman Police Commander, DSP Kwadwo Asante, who confirmed the story, indicated that on January 25, 2010, the police had information that three persons had been trapped in a borehole at Akotoshie and rushed to their rescue.
He said upon reaching the scene, the three had already been rescued by some white men in the area and they were rushed to the hospital for medical attention.
He confirmed that the two died shortly upon reaching the hospital.
Ã¢â‚¬Å“A sample of the stone had also been taken to the Ghana Standards Board to check if the victims really used dynamite in blasting the stones whilst investigations continue,Ã¢â‚¬Â he added.
By Linda Tenyah