Gun battle at Kufuor station

AFTER WAITING for three months and not seeing any form of job promised by the Atta Mills government, a youth wing of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) in Ashaiman, named NDC Task Force, last Saturday stormed a lorry station popularly called, Kufuor Station, in an effort to take over the place.

The group explained that because their party had failed to provide them with the jobs they promised them during its campaign during the December election, they were taking over the station so as to provide themselves with jobs in the area.

It took the efforts of the Ashiaman police, with support from the Tema Regional Police Command and Police from the Headquarters in Accra to ensure that lives and properties were not lost and destroyed during the thirty-minute gun battle which resulted in ten persons being shot, with one in coma as at press time .

DAILY GUIDE’s investigation revealed that the NDC Task Force earlier on Tuesday stormed the Kufuor station, opposite Sena Radio, around the area’s main lorry station and demanded that workers of the registered operator of the station, Gyampong Cudjoe, a one time Member of Parliament (MP) of the NDC for the Akan Constituency in the Volta Region, hand over the running of the station.

This, according to the DAILY GUIDE’s sources did not go down well with the operator and his workers who tried to resist the NDC Task Force from taking over but finally had to give in due to the overwhelming number of the NDC Task Force members.

They were alleged to have warned that if the operator involved the police or soldiers to get the running of the station back, it would be bloody as they were prepared to battle them and further warned that they did not care if anyone died in that battle since they (NDC Task Force) were prepared to even lose their lives in ensuring that they got what they wanted.

The group managed to get the operator and his workers to vacate the premises; leaving them in control of the station until Saturday morning when some young men, believed to have been recruited from the Komkomba market in Accra, stormed the station and forced members of the NDC Task Force out of the place.

The NDC Task Force reportedly attended a meeting convened by the MP, Alfred Agbesi, who pleaded with them to exercise restraint but the group was undeterred.

All hell broke loose when the rival group from Komkomba market emerged from their hideouts, wielding deadly weapons such as AK 47 and shotguns and engaged the Task Force in a gun battle which lasted close to thirty minutes until the police showed up at the scene to disperse the feuding parties.

Three of the ten persons who were hit by bullet, had the bullets in their heads and were rushed to the Tema General Hospital.

Six other people who also had bullets in various parts of their bodies were disappointed, as the absence of doctors at the medical facility compelled nurses on duty to only give them pain relief injections and asked them to go home and return on Monday by which time doctors at the hospital would have been at post to help remove the bullets.

The tenth person, who onlookers said was just a passerby who got badly injured was admitted and is yet to come out of coma as a result of the injury he sustained from the bullet.

DAILY GUIDE was also informed that the Tema Regional Police Commander, Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCOP) John Kudalor, later held a meeting with Alfred Agbesi, the Municipal Chief Executive, Addison Adinortey Numo, some constituency executives of the NDC, representatives of both the NDC Task Force and that of the operator of the lorry station, in efforts to get a lasting solution to the problems.

The Police Commander together with the MP, the MCE and party executives later visited the injured person at the hospital. When DAILY GUIDE visited the scene after the incident, police personnel were still patrolling the lorry station.

From Razak Mardorgyz Abubakar, Ashaiman