Beckham to find out Milan future

Beckham has revealed his desire to prolong his career at AC MilanDavid Beckham is set to find out on Friday whether he is going to join AC Milan on a permanent basis.

Beckham, 33, is on loan from LA Galaxy and Major League Soccer commissioner Don Garber has set a Friday deadline for the two clubs to thrash out a deal.

Milan had a £5m bid rejected by Galaxy last week for Beckham, who is keen to stay in Italy, but reports suggest they are set to up their bid to about £10m.

Coach Carlos Ancelotti says they should “make sacrifices to keep Beckham”.

Ancelotti added: “We must keep him because he is an important player for the team.”

Beckham’s loan deal is due to end on 8 March and Garber, who has to approve any potential deal, is not prepared to wait with the start of the new season in the United States approaching.

“There’s no reason why this should drag on,” said Garber. “They either want to do it or don’t want to do it.”

Galaxy boss Bruce Arena believes Beckham will honour his contract in the US if the two clubs cannot agree on a permanent switch.

“When Milan give us what they feels is their best offer, we’ll examine it and make a decision whether it’s in the best interests of our club or not,” Arena told BBC Radio 5 Live.

“If David Beckham returns, he is a good professional and he’s going to play, and play well.

“Beckham understands what a contract means. He will honour his contract, whether it’s with LA Galaxy or AC Milan.”

But Beckham, who equalled Bobby Moore’s England record of 108 caps for an outfield player when he featured against Spain on Wednesday, has reaffirmed his desire to stay in Italy.

“I am still hopeful,” he said ahead of the derby against Inter Milan at the San Siro on Sunday, live on BBC Three.

“It is something I want to happen, but we have to wait and see. We want it sorted out as quick as possible.”