Top Doctor Killed In Fire

Outside view of the burnt residenceDR. VICTOR Kumodji, founder of the popular Kumodji Hospital at Cantonments in Accra, died in a fire outbreak that engulfed his residence in the early hours of yesterday.

Dr. Kumodji, 83, was trapped in the upper chamber of his Cantonments residence/hospital as the fire blazed in a reckless rage and was pronounced dead moments after a rescue team from the Ghana National Fire Service had quenched the fire.

Properties running into several thousands of Ghana Cedis were also destroyed by the fire which lasted less than an hour.

When DAILY GUIDE reached the residence yesterday morning, a number of relatives, friends and sympathisers had already gathered, with some wailing.

Among the early callers was Peter Nanfuri, the former Inspector General of Police and recently appointed Council of State member.

Lawyer Nene Amegatcher, counsel for the family, disclosed that Dr. Kumodji around 8:15 am yesterday asked one of his attendants to prepare breakfast for him, and when the attendant brought the food  from the kitchen about 15 minutes later, he realised that the hall was on fire and engulfed in smoke.

Nene Amegatcher said the attendant then called on other occupants in the house to help put out the fire as they immediately informed the Fire Service of the development.

He explained further that the smoke in the hall was thick and the fire rather wild, so the rescuers could not enter to carry the old man out.

The Lawyer said though the fire fighters arrived on time and were able to quench the fire, Dr. Kumodji could not survive the inferno.

The Kumodji Hospital was not affected by the fire though it is situated on the same compound with the burnt residence.

Dr. Kumodji was married and survived by seven children.